Thrifty and looking nifty

Shannon Sanders

The really good shoppers and bargain finders know all the tricks of the trade. They can tell you when all the in-between season sales begin and what you can buy now and still look hip next year. They are experts. But there are people out there beating them at their own game – college students.

Because of the typical tight budgets and busy schedules, college students have found their own way to go bargain hunting for unique, cheap and surprising items through thrift stores.

“I mainly shop [at thrift stores] because everything is really cheap, and you can find the most amazing stuff,” said Emily Sorensen, sophomore in English. “It turns out that thrift stores are pretty much ideal places to shop. Plus I buy way more than clothes – I bought the sweetest Casio magical light keyboard you’ve ever seen there.”

There are plenty of thrift stores around, from Goodwill, 3718 Lincoln Way, and Salvation Army, 207 S. Duff Ave., to the Calico/Classic Closet, 1001 E. Lincoln Way, or the Atomic Garage in Des Moines. Although going to thrift stores does take a little more time than a quick run to the mall, most trips can be successful and very inexpensive.

“You have good days and not so good days when you go; sometimes you don’t find anything,” Sorensen said regarding knowing what to look for. “I don’t think I’ve ever spent beyond $15 or $20 at once, and I’m still probably getting seven things for the price of one shirt at The Gap.”

In light of the rising hype around thrift stores, Pulse sent two ISU students out with twenty dollars each to prove that fashion can easily be found where you’d least expect it.

“I was looking for clothes that fit me and I had to look in the kid’s and women’s section,” Ian Vens, freshman in art and design, said of his experience with finding the right clothes at thrift stores.

Sorensen and Vens set out on their mission. They were each given an amount that, in a regular store, would hardly buy you a shirt. After about an hour in both Goodwill and the Salvation Army, the students had picked up bags of shoes, shirts, pants and even a coat.

Sorensen found a classic knee-length jean skirt, a brown loose-necked turtleneck sweater, a knit bag and vintage leaf earrings. When paired with her cowgirl boots, previously purchased at Salvation Army, Sorensen could arrive anywhere in style. Total cost: $13.45 (including the boots).

Vens found a more edgy style with plaid pants coupled with a button-up shirt and sweater. Whether he will wear the pants again is still up in the air.

“I might sometime,” Vens commented. “I just worry about their body-forming-ness.” Vens’ total: $9.97.

Despite the good sales at the mall during the “off season,” thrift stores continue to be a viable option for college students looking to save.