Charges not yet filed in hit-and-run case

Jeff Lewis

No charges have been filed more than a month after a hit-and-run accident resulted in the death of an ISU student.

On Dec. 15, ISU Police identified the driver of the car that killed Kelly Laughery, 20, as Shanda Munn, junior in pre-journalism and mass communication.

ISU Police Capt. Gene Deisinger said the investigation is ongoing.

According to an ISU Police news release, Munn, 20, apparently attended a party at Sterling University apartments, 4912 Mortensen Road, before striking Laughery on Mortensen Road.

“We understand that Ms. Munn was at a gathering in west Ames prior to the accident,” Deisinger said. “We are trying to get in contact with everyone at that gathering.”

He added that ISU Police is consulting with the Story County Attorney’s office about possible charges to file, but would not speculate at this time about future charges or whether alcohol was involved in the incident.

Currently, Iowa law states that hit-and-run drivers do not face felony charges.

Doug Houghton, a program manager for ISU Department of Public Safety Parking Division, said that since the deaths of both Laughery and Robert Stupka III, senior in biochemistry who died after being struck by a bus on campus in November, there have been more calls from concerned persons about their safety on campus.

“We periodically receive inquiries from members of the campus community that ask questions about particular locations, people who feel uncomfortable at particular crosswalks or questions or concerns about lights or signs,” Houghton said.

Houghton, who is a member of a group that met over break to determine what could be done to increase pedestrian safety, said the deaths were not the only motivation for the group’s formation.

Hit-and-run not a felony

According to the 2005 Iowa Code, hit-and-run drivers do not face felony charges.

“The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to or death of any person shall immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close as possible and, if able, shall then return to and remain at the scene of the accident in accordance with section 321.263.”

Iowa is only one of seven states without felony hit-and-run laws.

Hit-and-run drivers can be charged with an aggravated misdemeanor if the victim dies.

Aggravated misdemeanors are punishable by up to two years in jail with a fine of $1,500 to $5,000.

– Compiled from the 2005 Iowa Code by Jeff Lewis