Veishea helps build play area for Beloit kids

Takeru Kise

In an effort to develop understanding and unity among the ISU and Ames communities, members of the Veishea committee brought the “one community” theme into practice.

The unveiling of Operation Playground II, a project to help Lutheran Services in Iowa build a playground for children at its Beloit campus, 1323 Northwestern Ave., took place there Wednesday.

Beloit, a residential treatment facility designed to help children with severe mental and behavioral disorders turn their lives around, now houses 47 children between the ages of 5 and 13.

“The children are very excited; we are very excited,” said Belinda Gobbel, Lutheran Services’ Ames site supervisor. “The Veishea committee helps us build a playground and helps us pay for it.”

The goal of the project, which originated with Operation Playground, spearheaded by Leaders INspiring Connections last spring, is to build three new playgrounds on the Beloit campus.

Of 27 playground equipment options, the children voted in advance for three they liked most, and the result was announced at the beginning of the unveiling: Slidewinder slide, with 20 votes; Cliff Climber, with 11; and S-Disc Challenge, with 8 carried the election.

The construction of the chosen playgrounds is scheduled to be completed on April 1, although the campus staff has kept the date secret from the children to surprise them on that day. The children have only a slight idea of when the playground will make its debut. “One day,” is all Gobbel told them.

“It’ll be a surprise for them,” she said.

Gobbel said some children require treatment, such as anger management or pulse control, and the average stay could last as long as six to nine months before they are able to go home.

“They don’t live in a home and they don’t have a playground,” said Eric Peterson, general co-chairman of the Veishea executive board and junior in agricultural business. “I think this is a great project for them and us.”

He said volunteers, such as ISU students from greek chapters, residence halls and campus organizations, would form work teams to construct the playground.

“We are coordinating with different sources, groups and multiple suppliers,” Peterson said. “And we are still working on finding sponsors for the project from private donors, businesses and public organizations.”

Outdoor Recreation Products, which supplies playground and other outdoor game equipment, is also participating in the project.

“The project was created as a way for ISU students to give back to the Ames community,” said Kelly Howard, co-chairwoman of the Community Involvement Committee and sophomore in pre-journalism and mass communication. “Veishea’s goal is to make Operation Playground an annual event, and continue to focus its effort on a not-for-profit organization.”

The Community Involvement Committee, one of 17 Veishea committees, is playing a leading role in the project in an effort to implement a large-scale community service project.

She said the committee chose to continue its commitment to the Ames community by organizing Operation Playground II.

“The project creates an opportunity for partnership between Veishea, ISU students and community businesses, organizations and members,” Howard said. “This is truly a ‘one community’ event.”