Dancing for the kids

Fred Love

A philanthropic event on campus this weekend provides financial support for an Iowa City children’s hospital, and an excuse for ISU students to break out their dancing shoes and get down with their bad selves.

Dance Marathon, an annual event to be held Saturday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union, will attract hundreds of participants and raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network of the Children’s Hospital of Iowa in Iowa City.

Nick Bassett, a 13-year-old boy from Boone who has undergone 10 surgeries for spinal tumors and scoliosis, loves the marathon not just because it raises money for the hospital at which he receives treatment, but also because it gives him the chance to perform in front of the participants.

Nick, a five-time Dance Marathon participant, said he loves to sing for “all the hot college chicks.”

Nick’s mother Ann Bassett said her entire family enjoys participating in the marathon.

“It’s the highlight of Nick’s year to sing for all those college kids. We love every minute of it,” Bassett said. “He starts thinking a year in advance about what songs he’ll sing. This year he gets to sing four songs.”

Nick refused to reveal the four selections he’s chosen to perform, preferring instead that his performance take the marathon participants by surprise.

Dance Marathon organizers said the event brings together college students and children receiving treatment at the children’s hospital for 15 straight hours of dancing, games and activities.

Cory Hanson, a Dance Marathon coordinator and senior in marketing, said more than 570 college students have registered to participate. He said 59 children who receive treatment at the Children’s Hospital and their families have also registered.

“Right now, we’re expecting around 700 people in the Great Hall,” Hanson said.

Bassett said the children most enjoy the interaction with the college students.

“It’s fun to see the college kids get attached to the kids,” she said. “There’s tons of interaction. Last year when Nick sang, a sorority dance team got behind him and was his backup group.”

Hanson said the college students enjoy the marathon as much as the children.

“The families benefit a lot, but students benefit just as much,” he said.

“The kids make such a huge impact on the students’ lives. College students often forget these kinds of problems, but bringing the kids there for a day makes a huge impact on both groups.”

Annon Woodin, a marathon coordinator and senior in early childhood education, said she has been involved with the marathon for the last nine years.

“I came when I was in high school at Ames High. Since I’ve been at ISU I’ve participated in all four years,” Woodin said. “A lot of times at college students just do things for themselves. This is a great way to do things for other people and enrich your time at Iowa State.”

She said students and children who don’t like to dance can still find plenty to do.

“The Cheer Squad comes in, the Pom Squad, Cy makes an appearance – there’s all kinds of exciting stuff,” she said.

Hanson said each participant must raise $175 for the Children’s Miracle Network to participate in Dance Marathon, but he said some go above and beyond that.

“We’ve got some people who are between $1,300 and $1,500,” he said. “We do a lot of different fundraisers like letter-writing campaigns and canning drives to get donations.”

He said the first Dance Marathon was held at Penn State University in State College, Penn. in 1973, and more than 80 universities across the country have begun their own marathons since then.

“It’s spreading across the country like wildfire now,” he said.