GSB senators suggest ways to address diversity issues

Joe Augustin

The Government of the Student Body had a chance to voice its opinion Wednesday night regarding the research being done for the principles commission, a group formed to explore diversity issues.

Since the beginning of the semester, the principles commission has embarked on a venture to gauge opinions from around campus on what an ideal ISU community consists of. After completing focus groups with ISU students before Thanksgiving break began, Phil Hernandez, IRHA senator and graduate student in education leadership and policy studies, facilitated a discussion with the GSB senate Wednesday.

Most senators spoke positively about having a value statement that Iowa State could turn to when hate crimes occur or just for general discussion to help foster education of diversity issues.

“One of the easiest ways we could implement this would be through Destination Iowa State,” said Greg Shepherd, speaker of the senate and graduate student in natural resource ecology and management.

David Miles, engineering senator and senior in aerospace engineering, said reacting to hate crime with the attitude that students will act stupidly is a problem.

“I think an ideal Iowa State community would be one where we could speak our mind,” Miles said. “A place where everyone was able to learn and thrive.”

Jon Richardson, engineering senator and junior in chemical engineering, said sometimes not knowing can be a big problem in responding to diversity issues.

“Nobody’s perfect, but an ideal community is where everyone respects each other and recognizes that everyone is different, as long as we can be open,” Richardson said.

Katherine Gidlewski, engineering senator and senior in chemical engineering, suggested it be mandatory that 101 classes discuss diversity issues, because many majors require students to take the orientation courses.

GSB also voted on a bill to fund entertainment for the students who raised money through Dance Marathon; however, at press time, it had not come to a vote. The annual Dance Marathon celebrates funds raised for Children’s Miracle Network.