Regent-approved tuition hike contigent on legislative session

Jared Taylor

Following months of discussion and deliberation, tuition increases were finally approved by the Iowa Board of Regents, although opinions among student leaders, administrators and Regents remain mixed about its final approval in the Iowa General Assembly.

The Regents’ requested increases would raise tuition 4 percent at Iowa State and add an unprecedented $500 annual surcharge for junior- and senior-level students enrolled in the College of Engineering during the 2006-07 school year.

For the 4 percent increase to become a reality, the three state universities must receive an additional $40 million in funding from legislators, as a part of the “Regent Partnership Plan for Transformation and Excellence,” which aims to regain some of the state universities’ funding cut in recent years.

Last legislative session the Regent universities saw $24 million in additional funding, $16 million less than the $40 million requested. This prompted the regents to consider a mid-year, supplemental 3 percent tuition hike, but was avoided with last-minute funds allocated by Gov. Tom Vilsack.

Thanks to Vilsack and his office, the first year of the Regent’s partnership plan was seen as a success, as it’s targeted 4 percent increase – the first over a scheduled four years – passed.

The question remains, however, whether it will again be a close call with the Legislature coming up short with the requested funds to make the partnership plan continue to work.

“We are at a situation where if the state house doesn’t come through and fund the partnership plan, we are going to have a very large tuition increase next year,” said Angela Groh, Government of the Student Body president.

Undergraduate tuition has increased 73 percent at Iowa State since the 2000-01 academic year.

ISU President Gregory Geoffroy said he anticipates complete funding from the state.

“The full expectation is the tuition increases approved are the tuition increases that will go into effect in the fall of 2006 and the expectation is there won’t be any need to add any supplemental tuition increases,” he said.

Iowa City Regent Robert Downer said the additional $40 million in funding would benefit more than maintaining a moderate tuition increase.

“Among other things, this is very important as far as the state’s economic future is concerned and I think the state legislators recognize that,” he said.

Groh said she has apprehensions about the increases as legislators return to session in January.

“To be honest, I’m really nervous about it,” she said. “K-12 education seems to be a priority for them this year.”

Downer said higher education should hold greater priority among legislators, as it prepares Iowans for the workforce.

Groh said much of the funding received for the 2005-2006 school year was “primarily one-time money, which can’t be used for sustainable faculty or long-standing programs at any of the three schools.”

Downer said he is remaining more optimistic about the tuition increases’ approval.

“The tuition increases that have been approved were based upon the action that the legislature took based on the transformation plan last time, so we’re going forward with our commitment in connection with that,” he said.

“What they do in the coming session, we don’t know, but we hope they continue and give us another $40 million additionally.”

Many legislators may not make funding public universities a top priority, Groh said.

“I had an opportunity to talk to the governor about priorities for education in general – there is no resounding support for keeping tuition affordable,” she said.

“The Senate is divided equally 25-25 and the House of Representatives is split 51-49, which means everything that goes through has to be a compromise.”

Student Regent Jenny Rokes said she was pleased the Regents were able to keep tuition percentage increases in the single digits for next year.

“Nobody wants an increase, but in reality we know that’s not going to happen,” she said.

“I’m not happy we have to have an increase, but I’m pleased it’s only a single digit increase.”

Rokes said she would remain confident in legislators’ complete funding of public universities.

“I really hope so, we are always confident, so I am going to stay that way for now.”

Groh said government officials have told her higher tuition is justified, as college graduates typically earn higher salaries than non-graduates.

Geoffroy said it was the responsibility of taxpayers and legislators to make higher education accessible, although financial challenges always are greater for some families.

“It’s incumbent for all of us – the university, the taxpayers of Iowa – to do everything we can to enable young people who want to pursue a dream of a top quality education,” he said.

Groh said should tuition increase more rapidly than inflation, enrollment at Iowa State would suffer.

“Tuition is going to be increased to the point where our enrollment will be dropping because they can’t afford to come here after high school,” she said.