LETTER: Dance Marathoners not typical students

As I began my second year here at Iowa State, I was tired of being a “typical college student.” I wanted to do something different. I wanted to actually help make a difference instead of just going to class every day.

I decided to sign up for Iowa State’s Dance Marathon. Dance Marathon is a nation-wide, student-run philanthropy that raises money for the Children’s Miracle Network. The Children’s Miracle Network helps children and their families cope with cancer and other life threatening illnesses. Dance Marathon made its debut at Iowa State seven years ago, and it is now the largest philanthropy at Iowa State.

Last year, Dance Marathon raised more than $136,000 dollars for the Children’s Miracle Network. Each year Dance Marathon holds a “Kickin’ it for the Kids” event where more than 500 ISU students, who have each raised at least $175, remain on their feet for 15 solid hours while dancing, playing games and meeting the families that there donations have helped.

Like many dancers, I can not even begin to put into words what it is like to experience Dance Marathon. One minute you are jumping up and down cheering, and the next minute you are in tears as you hear the stories of the children that you are sponsoring. By the end of the 15 hours my life had changed forever.

On that day, I wasn’t just a “typical college student.” I was a big part of something that was improving the lives of so many children.

I encourage everyone to consider registering for the next Dance Marathon. The event will be held on Jan. 21 at the Memorial Union. Anyone interested in learning more or registering for Dance Marathon can visit the Dance Marathon Web site at www.dm.stuorg.iastate.edu or e-mail [email protected] for more information.

Danelle Carley

Junior

Animal Science