Students to woo legislators for funding

Jared Taylor

Slowing tuition’s perpetual rise and showcasing Iowa’s public universities are the goals of the ISU Ambassadors and other student leaders.

“Meet the Future of Iowa 2005” will bring state legislators, Board of Regents members, gubernatorial candidates and student leaders together to discuss the importance of affordable public higher education.

The event is to be held Friday afternoon in the Scheman Building.

Government of the Student Body President Angela Groh said the event is one of the few times for students, Regents and legislators to come together and discuss higher education issues.

“It’s virtually impossible to talk to them for more than 15 minutes on any given topic,” she said. “We have a really hard time getting legislators to come to any of the three Regent universities.”

Rachel Geilenfeld, director of ISU Ambassadors, said approximately 100 people will attend the invitation-only event.

“‘Meet the Future of Iowa’ is a reception for state and student leaders to come together and talk about higher education and its role in our state,” she said. “The main thing we are trying to achieve is to build relations with state leaders.”

Student Regent Jenny Rokes is scheduled to speak about the importance of supporting higher education in Iowa. Following Rokes’s address, some event participants will attend the Iowa State vs. Iowa men’s basketball game at Hilton Coliseum.

Groh said attendees going to the game purchased tickets themselves.

“One of the only ways to get legislators to come to the university is to give them the opportunity to purchase tickets to the Iowa State-Iowa basketball game,” she said.

Iowa City Regent Robert Downer was scheduled to deliver the keynote address but said he would be unable to attend.

Geilenfeld said the event would help demonstrate students’ potential to state legislators.

“We have the potential to impact our state in the future and we are taking the first steps now,” she said.

Rokes said she plans to talk about the importance of fully funding the Regent institutions and student retention.