A new beginning

Joe Augustin

The first student elected to the Ames City Council hopes his insight will bring about change and better relations between the city of Ames and Iowa State.

Ryan Doll, who will graduate in December in political science, credited his success in the election to a strong campaign not only with stickers, brochures and yard signs, but also with heavy emphasis on door-to-door relations with those in the 3rd Ward.

He said he made an effort to get out to students and balanced that with a big reach to non-student Ames residents.

“The range of people at the M-Shop was really a great mix from students to older professors and long-time Ames residents,” Doll said of his post-election party.

But now that the celebrations are over, Doll will face issues and attempt to stand up for his beliefs on the council.

Ann Campbell, mayor-elect and former four-term 3rd Ward representative, said she always believed if a student was to be elected to City Council, it would be from that ward. She said she met with Doll to get acquainted as individuals.

“I very much enjoyed meeting with him and I look forward to working with him,” Campbell said.

Angela Groh, Government of the Student Body president, said Doll’s variety of perspectives as an undergraduate student and full-time working resident adds to his credibility as a council member.

“He has a very open mind and seeks out a lot of different opinions,” Groh said.

“He has an impressive style of leadership in that he helps teach people as they go as opposed to doing all the work himself.”

Newly-elected Doll said he has not yet outlined proposals to bring before the council. Yet, there are several issues he hopes to address.

Having served on the student fees committee on the Government Student Body, he is opposed to having a new mall because he fears the increase in fees could fall on the shoulders of students as a result of the need for more CyRide transportation.

“That really bothers me,” Doll said.

He said the numbers show that the city can’t support it, and said he likes the idea of having a community that is more pedestrian-friendly as opposed to the need to either drive or take mass transportation to the edge of town.

“Campustown used to be a place where you could get everything you needed like walking to school or groceries,” Doll said.

He is aware that Campustown does have a successful nightlife that students enjoy, but there is a need for more daytime activities and businesses.

Doll said although the definition of “one community” is still vague to him, he is in support of doing research on bringing back the Dinky, a train that once connected Campustown with downtown Ames, something which might help with this initiative.

“It would be a great attraction and something unique. I would at least be in support of looking into its feasibility,” Doll said.

When it comes to the keg ordinance, Doll said he was impressed with the process that it went through because it could have easily been passed under the eyes of ISU students during the summer, but was held instead for the purpose of gathering student input.

“If the ordinance is truly about addressing underage drinking, I would like to see money put back into alcohol prevention and education,” he said.

One question Doll said he faces from critics is whether he would remain an Ames resident for an extended period of time.

“I have been here for eight years and I have no intention of leaving,” Doll said.

When addressing the student body, Doll said students should take an interest in issues facing the town, because they affect them.

Although he was elected as a student, Doll said he represents all the views of the 3rd ward – students and Ames residents.

“I don’t want people to think that there is going to be some huge radical change now that I’m here, but students should feel comfortable talking with me because I have been in their shoes, I’ve been on campus, and hopefully they can relate to that easier,” he said.

Doll will take office beginning in January with the rest of the newly-appointed members.