Private bids for ISU Dining set to open Dec. 16

Jeff Lewis

ISU Dining employees are bracing for bids from three private food service companies to be opened Dec. 16 amid fears the department could possibly cease to be a university-controlled operation.

“We’re still very concerned; it hasn’t gotten any prettier,” said Carol Petersen, assistant director of dining services.

But a representative for one of the private firms said its proposal would improve the atmosphere of campus dining.

There’s been much debate, uncertainty and concern during the semester about the issue. Employees have been skeptical of university assurances that their jobs and benefits would be safe.

In a November letter to ISU Dining employees, ISU President Gregory Geoffroy stated specifically that wages would not be reduced, nor would anyone be fired or lose their benefits.

Warren Madden, vice president of business and finance, said there will be no public bid opening because they may contain proprietary information, but they will be made available when it is removed to help make the process “as transparent as possible.”

“Usually the bid is not made available until the contract is awarded,” Madden said. “But given the nature of this particular process, we will be disseminating the public information the first part of January.”

He said the evaluations will be conducted in January and into February if required, and the winner of the contract would hopefully take over the operation, if necessary, by the fall 2006 semester.

A spokesperson for Sodexho, one of the companies that will provide a bid to the university, said the company adheres to stipulations the university makes for wages and benefits.

“We work very closely with them to provide [benefit] packages,” said Bonnie Gordon, spokesperson for Sodexho.

In addition to working with the university on work environments, Gordon said the company will make eating a more enjoyable and convenient experience for students.

“We believe that we can improve [ISU Dining],” she said.

“And really make it something that students love and would be proud to have at their university.”

Gordon said Sodexho has designed software and culinary programs specially for the university.

“The programs that we would bring are very specific to Iowa State,” she said.

Gordon added the company would concentrate on renovating current university facilities to make them more interesting eating environments for students. She said, however, she was uncertain which facilities would be renovated.

“Eating should be about a social gathering of your friends,” she said.

“It should be a fun experience. It’s not the institutional setting with white walls and tables and chairs and carpet. It’s about the renovation. The atmosphere just changes.”

She also said the company would be looking into adding new venues targeted at providing students more convenient places to eat on campus.

“We want to add different spaces to allow you to get food fast,” she said

Gordon said that for college students it is important to try to “break the current idea” of college cafeteria eating.

“You kind of shuffle through the line, you have a choice of a couple entrees and they’re put on your plate,” she said. “[With Sodexho] there are almost limitless entree choices and a lot of vegetarian choices.”

Chartwells and ARAMARK, the two other major companies expected to submit bids to the university, were unable to be reached for comment.