Church, students remember pastor

Marcos Rivera

Pastor Malcolm Laing was the lead pastor at the Collegiate Presbyterian Church in Ames for the last four months.

Although his time in the church was cut short, his enthusiastic leadership and vision for the future will remain with the congregation, who attended his funeral service Tuesday.

“He reached out to everyone,” said Barbara Gaddis, church staff member.

Gaddis said Laing was the head of staff at the church, located at 159 Sheldon Ave., and had just recently moved to Ames with his wife Jenny.

He died Thursday morning of a heart attack while shoveling snow.

Ashley Lage, ministry assistant from the University Group within the church, said the memorial service students didn’t regularly work with Laing, but they interacted with him frequently and experienced his sense of humor.

“I had a lot of respect for him as a pastor and as a person. He could relate to people in a very unique way,” said Lage, senior in psychology.

Members of the church remember his energetic and inspiring sermons and interpretations of the Bible when he preached at Sunday services.

“He had a commanding presence, but at the same time a great sense of humor,” she said.

Elizabeth Dahlstrom, graduate student in food sciences and human nutrition, also works with the University Group.

“He seemed very kind and passionate about what he did,” Dahlstrom said.

She said Laing was helping to plan a trip next semester for the University Group to Kentucky to help with Habitat for Humanity, although he would not have gone on the trip himself.

“It’s hard to put into words. I can’t do him justice,” Lage said.

Prayer services will be held Wednesday and Friday in the Helser Chapel in memory of Laing.

Flower memorials may be given to the church for use at the family’s discretion, according to the church’s Web site.

Gaddis said the church will most likely hire an interim pastor and eventually search for a permanent pastor, but has not made any official decision.

Pastor Laing is survived by his wife Jenny and their six children.

“We’re grieving his death,” Gaddis said, “but we’re also grieving the vision that he promised.”