Candidate stresses globalized studies

Fred Love

One candidate for the directorship of the African American studies department emphasized globalization as an important curriculum feature in an open forum Monday evening in Catt Hall.

Tunde Adeleke, the current director of African American studies at the University of Montana at Missoula and a native of Nigeria, said universities worldwide will have to prepare students for an increase in globalization and multiculturalism to keep up with current trends.

“The last two decades have seen more migration of Africans to Europe,” Adeleke said. “Both European and American institutions will have to respond to this growing globalization. Universities will have to take on a global perspective because these students are not just African or just American, but something much more complex.”

If chosen for the position, Adeleke, one of three candidates vying for the directorship, will fill the position left vacant by J. Herman Blake, who retired June 30.

African American studies is only offered as a minor as of now, but Adeleke said he would like to see that change.

“If I had my way, I would love to offer a major,” he said. “As director, my goal would be for the program to grow, but the university has the ultimate decision on that.”

He said the African American studies department should play a larger role in the community.

“I want students to apply what’s learned in the classroom to practical situations in the community,” he said. “My goal is to produce culturally aware citizens who can meet the challenges of an increasingly diverse world.”

Ashley Wilson, senior in communication studies, is pursuing a minor in African American studies and said she agreed the program needs to improve its outreach beyond the university to help retain black students.

“I agree with a lot of ways he wants to shape the program,” Wilson said. “But whoever becomes the new director needs to pay attention to retention.”

More community participation, she said, could help Iowa State retain minority students who may otherwise stop attending the university.

“Some black students don’t feel like they have any support,” she said. “Iowa State does a lot to recruit minority students but doesn’t work to keep them once they’re here.”