Extension candidates will visit this month

Kristen Arneson

The Iowa State University Extension search committee has narrowed down their search for the vice provost of extension position to three final candidates.

One of the three candidates – Jack Payne, Frederick Stilwill or Linda Jo Turner – is expected to assume responsibilities when Vice Provost of Extension Stanley Johnson retires this semester.

The Iowa State University Extension communicates education topics to the state of Iowa, and the job description of vice provost specifically includes directing programs in agriculture, economic development and 4-H Club youth development.

The vice provost must also serve on the president’s cabinet and work with the deans of Iowa State’s seven colleges to combine teaching and research programs with the university’s outreach programs.

Benjamin Allen, provost and vice president for academic affairs, said the vice provost of extension should have a vision of how Iowa State provides extension services to Iowa.

Extension is the “major way we engage citizens of Iowa about the teaching that goes on here,” he said.

Mark Engelbrecht, chairman of the search committee and dean of the College of Design, said what intrigued the search committee about these potential vice provosts is that each one would bring a different perspective to Iowa State’s community.

Engelbrecht said Payne, vice president for University Extension, director of the Utah Cooperative Extension Service, dean of Continuing Education and professor in the College of Natural Resources at Utah State University, has experience in the academic setting and has been involved in “a lot of interesting work in fundraising and developing.”

Engelbrecht said Stilwill, director of learning for the Environmental Project in Coralville, has “a tremendous connection to the state of Iowa and educational programs.”

Turner, director of Missouri 4-H youth development programs at the University of Missouri-Columbia, worked for many years in the 4-H component of the Missouri Extension. Engelbrecht said she has a reputation for “significant youth-centered work.”

After explaining the attributes of the three finalists, Engelbrecht said the committee is “very keen on these candidates and think they are terrific people.”

Both Engelbrecht and Allen have said the decision of vice provost should be made by the end of the year.

Each candidate will be making a campus visit later this month. Stilwill’s visit will be Nov. 8, Payne’s visit will be Nov. 10 and Turner’s visit will be Nov. 17.

During each of their visits, the candidates will discuss “University Extension: Into the 21st Century” at an open forum in Howe Hall.

Administrators are encouraging anyone to send evaluations of the candidates to Engelbrecht before 5 p.m. on Nov. 21.

“The campus visit is very important to see how they respond to questions under pressure,” Allen said.