Cheggpost update includes borrowing

Teresa Krug

Administrators for the popular Cheggpost Web site have hatched a new look.

On Tuesday, the new Web site, which allows students, primarily at Iowa State, to find items such as books, furniture and new roommates, went from Cheggpost.com to Chegg.com and expanded to include features like lending and borrowing, which allow students more flexibility with their items. The layout has also been updated to look less cluttered, said Aayush Phumbhra, a member of the Chegg team.

Although the site, which has more than 8,000 members, has only been up for a few days, Phumbhra, a 2004 ISU alumnus, said he has received positive feedback.

“Nobody has said anything negative about the Web site,” he said.

Keith Dietzenbach, senior in marketing, said he has been using the Web site for a few years and made around two dozen exchanges. He said he checks two or three times a day to see if an item he is looking for has been posted.

He said he is impressed with the new changes.

“The functionality has gone through the roof,” he said.

Despite the initial slight learning curve, he said the new changes have made the Web site more user-friendly. Before, he said, the layout was geared more toward the “tech enthusiast.” Now, it is much more appealing to the average viewer, although it takes a little more time to upload.

Although advertising on the site will continue, Phumbhra said they have been working with local businesses to advertise and offer specials.

“We’re sincerely interested in saving the students money,” said Josh Carlson, who founded Cheggpost in 2001. “We’re never going to ask the students for money themselves.”

The amount of advertising has been reduced, however.

“The ads are less obtrusive,” said Carlson, a 2002 ISU alumnus. “They are more appropriately incorporated with the design, so it’s more of providing a service than just throwing ads at them.”

Carlson and Phumbhra said many of the features will continue to be updated, including an auction engine, and they will launch a marketing campaign at 10 other universities in the Midwest in January. They said they plan to go national in March.