Annual fall blood drive offers students chance to save lives

Ethan Schultz

The annual Iowa State fall blood drive kicks off Monday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Michael Kline, general co-director of the fall blood drive, said the committee has set a goal of 1,900 people to donate this week. The spring blood drive, which was held alongside Greek Week, brought in 2,080 donators and was helped by members from fraternities and sororities, he said.

Kline said a new feature this year is an appearance by Apple Computer. He said they will bring iPods for people to listen to while they are waiting to donate blood. He also said Ames-area businesses would give food and beverages to donors before and after they give blood.

“I think they are important just because, more or less, everyone knows someone that has had a blood transfusion or needed blood for surgeries or different treatments,” he said of the importance of blood drives. “It’s just something everyone has been affected by and without it, a lot of people wouldn’t be saved. It’s just one small thing you can do to help out a lot of people.”

Krystal Obbink, off-campus recruitment co-chairwoman, said she was interested in helping with the fall blood drive because she had participated in them at her high school and this drive was exciting to her because of its size.

“It’s a much bigger thing here; we just had one day in high school for four hours, but here it’s five days,” she said.

Obbink, sophomore in pre-business, said several football players would be stopping by throughout the week. She said Angela Groh, president of the Government of the Student Body, would be donating at 2 p.m. on Tuesday.

Obbink also said a donor registration booth would be in the Memorial Union and potential problems would be handled by the executive committee and aides of the blood drive.

According to The American Red Cross Web site, to give blood for a transfusion to another person, you must be healthy, at least 16 years old (16- and 17-year-olds need a signed parental consent form), weigh at least 110 pounds and have not donated blood in the last eight weeks. If you have a chronic condition such as diabetes or high blood pressure, “healthy” also means you are being treated and the condition is under control.

The blood drive will be held Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. On Friday, donations will start 8 a.m. and end at 2 p.m.