Criminal justice program could evolve to major

Marcos Rivera

The criminal justice minor is in the process of being offered as a major.

Matthew DeLisi, coordinator of the criminal justice program, is drafting a proposal to convert the program to a major.

DeLisi, assistant professor of sociology, said the proposal must be approved by the undergraduate curriculum committee in the liberal arts and sciences college.

The Board of Regents has the final say on whether the program should be approved.

Most students who are currently enrolled in the criminal justice minor are sociology majors. DeLisi said if the program turns into a major, it would be somewhat of a “sister department” to the sociology major.

“I anticipate that a lot of the students would do a double major,” DeLisi said.

Many classes would be added to the curriculum as electives, including classes such as Psychology 460, Abnormal Psychology. Other courses would be created experimentally, such as a corrections course, white collar crime course or a policing course. These are all courses that are common in criminal justice majors in other universities.

After determining the effects of the courses, they might turn into regularly offered classes, DeLisi said.

There are 235 students currently enrolled in the criminal justice minor. DeLisi expects that all, or at least most of these would convert to a major.

“I’m very hopeful that it does become a major. The student demand for a program like this is incredible,” DeLisi said.

Dustin Anderson, junior in sociology and criminal justice minor, said he would probably complete a double major if he had the chance.

“I wouldn’t give up sociology ’cause I already have it almost done,” Anderson said.

Anderson plans to finish his criminal justice minor next semester, but said if the program is offered as a major, he could still finish the requirements for that before graduating.

Currently, there are groups associated to the criminal justice program, including the Criminal Justice Club and the ISU Pre-Law Club.

Elizabeth Sage Fisk, president of the Criminal Justice Club, said that changing the program to a major would be very positive for the club.

The club offers seminars on jobs based on criminal justice.

“I think the Criminal Justice Club would grow if it [the criminal justice program] is turned into a major,” said Fisk, senior in liberal studies.

Currently, the club has between 30 and 40 members and is open to all students who are interested in criminal justice careers.

Fisk said a lot of the people in the club are sociology majors, psychology majors and liberal arts majors.

The ISU Pre-Law Club is affiliated with the criminal justice program but is more oriented toward students who are interested in going into law school.