Big 12 loaded with potential, talented teams

Brett Mcintyre

Three words: MARCH MADNESS BABY!

A few more words: Dick Vitale is an idiot.

In fact, if I use the word baby one more time I hereby give you permission to stop reading.

Maybe it’s still too early to talk about March Madness, but we can at least preview the Big 12. So here’s how it’ll all shake down, give or take 12 adjustments.

Big Men on Campus

1. TEXAS – The Longhorns have it all: backcourt, frontcourt, depth, everything.

Texas struggled last year down the stretch, but that was due to losing leading scorer P.J. Tucker due to academic ineligibility. As long as he stays healthy and eligible, and the Longhorns take better care of the ball (Texas ranked near the bottom in the conference in the turnover categories) they will win the conference and vie for a spot in the Final Four.

Prediction: Elite Eight

2. OKLAHOMA – Wait, I thought somebody told me I was getting to write a basketball column? Texas and Oklahoma for the Big 12 BASKETBALL title??

It’s true.

Oklahoma is loaded with talent and should be able to take care of business making their games against hated rival Texas worth a lot.

Senior Kevin Bookout thinks this is the most talented team the Sooners have had and he may be right. Juco transfer Micheal Neal is the key. If he is as good as the hype and Oklahoma stays away from injuries, look out.

Prediction: Elite Eight

3. KANSAS – This is a bit of a shaky pick at number three, but more or less because there isn’t really a defined order after the top two.

The Jayhawks lost a ton last year, with graduations of Big 12 Player of the Year Wayne Simien, Keith Langford and Aaron Miles. To you and me, that means 44 points-per-game.

The transfer of three-point specialist J.R. Gidden is another 10 points-per-game and means Kansas will actually only be able to score about 27 points each game this season.

Talk about needing some defense.

Kansas is Kansas, they have the recruits, they have the tradition, they have a hostile environment to play in and while they may not win the conference, they’ll get their wins.

Prediction: NCAA Second round loss to Bucknell, improving over last’s year’s first-round loss to Bucknell.

Middle of the Road

4. TEXAS TECH – I was going to put Iowa State here, but fearing chairs flying out of Lubbock, I threw Bobby Knight a bone.

Knight needs 25 wins to tie Dean Smith for the most NCAA wins (879) and could come close to that, but may need just one more season to get there.

The middle of this conference is a complete mess with Kansas and Oklahoma State rebuilding, so any of these teams could move up if a couple bounces go their way.

Knight has what is thought to be his best recruiting class at Texas Tech so far, and with a nice blend of old and young players, it will be up to him to shape them into winners.

Prediction: Sweet 16.

5. IOWA STATE – Of all the seasons to go into without a proven post game.

Iowa State enters the year without Damion Staple and Jared Homan, who were Iowa State’s post game. Shawn Taggart is now expected to be the Cyclones’ force down low, but it’s tough to try and contend in the Big 12 with unproven freshmen inside.

I’ve already mentioned all the turnovers in the league this year, and that will help Iowa State’s cause, as they may win some games that they normally wouldn’t as they try to break in Taggart, but they’ll probably lose a couple they shouldn’t … as they try to break in Taggart.

Curtis Stinson and Will Blalock though, they’re pretty good. In fact, I’m pretty sure they might be able to take me in some one-on-one. Maybe the Daily will set that up…

Stinson and Blalock will have to carry the team early while the inside grows up.

If Taggart stays ahead of the learning curve there’s no reason Iowa State can’t finish as high as third.

Prediction: NCAA second-round

6. TEXAS A&M – No, the Aggies didn’t play anyone the first half of the year when they started 11-0 in 2004. But they still started 11-0. If they actually were awful, they would’ve lost some.

With four starters returning from last year, the Aggies should be able to improve and build on last year’s success and NIT appearance. If they steal a couple of victories here and there they could climb up another spot or two.

Plus, the state of Texas in the middle of their court, absolutely massive. It’s huge. When your center court logo is almost bigger than your court, that has to be worth something.

Prediction: NIT (NCAA bubble-busted)

7. OKLAHOMA STATE – In what will likely be Eddie Sutton’s final year at the helm for the Cowboys, Oklahoma State will be rebuilding. Yes, Sutton is choosing to go out on a down year so his successor, his son, won’t have to deal with a down year in his first year.

Even so, the Cowboys have plenty of young talent coming in, but only one of their top eight scorers returning.

The going will be slow at first, but if they can pick up eight or nine conference wins and finish with 18 total, the committee will throw Sutton a bone and take the Cowboys dancing.

Prediction: NCAA First-round

The Cellar Dwellers

8. NEBRASKA – The Cornhuskers know how to play defense, and have allowed under 64 points-per-game the last two years, but will they be able to score?

The roster seems to be loaded with young players and such, but it’s still Nebraska and the attitude has to change.

Nebraska has hovered just under .500 in the conference for a while but if some of the younger players step up and score, this may be the year where Nebraska can turn the corner and win nine or ten games in the conference as long as the defense doesn’t struggle.

Prediction: NIT

9. KANSAS STATE – The Wildcats won 17 games last year, but just six of those came in the conference.

Kansas State has a lot of young talent and maybe an opportunity to move up in the conference, but it seems like everyone has that. The Wildcats don’t play anyone in the non-conference, but they’re going to have to pull a series of upsets in the conference to make the big dance.

Prediction: NIT

10. MISSOURI – Tiger coach Quinn Snyder has a real mess on his hands in Columbia.

The NCAA found 40 rules violations in May 2004 and placed sanctions and all kinds of things on the program. Two of his incoming freshman couldn’t get into school. His leading scorer declared for the NBA Draft and he has officially ran out of hair “product.”

What ever shall the Tigers do? Not go dancing, that’s what.

By the way, Columbia? Miserable drive. Never go there.

Prediction: Uhhh … spring break in Cancun?

11. COLORADO – The Buffaloes return a lot. In fact, they return all of their scoring from last year.

That’s nice and all, but I still don’t think they’re very good. Last year the Buffs ranked last in the Big 12 in free-throw shooting at 62.9 percent and that just won’t get it done.

It’s another long year in Boulder.

Prediction: Skiing for spring break maybe?

12. BAYLOR – You really have to feel for Baylor.

After one Baylor player murdered another two years ago, everyone knew the going would get rough for the Bears.

It got even worse this summer when the NCAA came down hard and took away the non-conference schedule.

That’s right the Bears only play 16 conference games. That’s it.

At least Guy Morriss has the football team playing well and giving the Baylor students something to rally behind. Here’s to hoping Baylor closes the season with victories over Missouri and Oklahoma State to clinch a bowl game.

Prediction: Two wins, that’s it.

So that’s how I see the Big 12 shaking down. Feel free to make your own lists, because I’m probably an idiot and have it all wrong.

Teams I have probably overrated: Kansas, Texas (it’s Texas — they’re always capable of screwing it up).

Teams I have probably underrated: Iowa State, Kansas State, Nebraska.