Program director search is narrowed to three candidates

Paul Nemeths

The university has narrowed a wide field down to three final candidates in its search for a new director of the African American Studies program.

After Herman Blake stepped down as director in June, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences began searching for a candidate who could fill Blake’s shoes.

The three finalists are R. Tunde Adeleke, director of African American Studies at the University of Montana; John Arthur, former chairman of the department of sociology and anthropology at the University of Minnesota, Duluth; and Christopher Brooks, interim chairman for the department of African American Studies at Virginia Commonwealth University.

Gary Tartakov, interim director of African American studies, said candidates went through three rounds of screening, in which committees made up of directors for the Center of Intercultural Studies and various departments within LAS, narrowed the field from 20. The three potential directors now face a process of interviews, presentations and orientations.

Other university officials said the search committee is looking for a director who can balance research and teaching.

“We are looking for a director who is an excellent scholar and an educational leader; one who values research and knowledge but also takes on teaching seriously as a central part of his mission,” said Eugenio Matibag, interim director for the Center for American Intercultural Studies.

Tartakov said the African American Studies program is important and relevant to the students at Iowa State.

He said the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina brought to the nation’s attention the fact that black people are disproportionately affected by poverty. He said it is important for the citizens of the United States, especially those who vote, to understand the hardships faced by many minorities.

“It’s broader than the program,” Tartakov said. “It’s broader than the university. It’s broader than Iowa. The United States community needs to know how we interact with the African American community.

“I’m not saying that everyone should minor in the program, but I think everyone should take a course in the program so we can learn how to make our nation grow.”

Many ISU students said they agree that more students should take the courses and hope the program will continue in the future.

“Finding a director is important,” said Cameron Creighton, a senior in industrial technology, who is enrolled in an introduction to African American Studies course.

“African American Studies is something a lot of people don’t learn about. We need somebody to head up this important program.”

The program is currently focusing on offering classes leading to a minor, Tartakov said. Some of the faculty members are hoping for the new director to possibly change the program to offer a major.

Brooks will speak at 4 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union on Thursday, and Adeleke will speak at 4 p.m. in 302 Catt Hall on Monday.

John Arthur has canceled his campus visit, but is still being considered for the position.