International Week to entertain and educate

Mary Kimbell

Daily Staff Writer

The international diversity that is present on campus is about to be exposed. At least that is the goal of the International Week events.

Running from Monday to Sunday, International Week is a set of events and activities that focus on world issues, studying abroad, international students and global cultures.

“It’s an opportunity to showcase cultures around the world,” says Erin Hughes, junior in anthropology and executive board member of the International Student Council.

“It’s a huge opportunity for Iowa State students, especially those from the U.S. and also other international students, as well.”

Hughes says the Ames community as a whole will benefit by participating because it can experience and learn about a variety of cultures without having to travel anywhere.

She says a broad spectrum of activities are being offered throughout the week to allow for this experience.

The week begins with an opening ceremony providing entertainment, refreshments and a chance to win prizes. International Student Council President Olamide Shadiya, senior in chemical engineering, says she is most excited for this event.

“I’m looking forward to the opening ceremony because that’s our start-up event, and a good start-up kind of sets the mood for the other events,” she says.

Shadiya says she is also looking forward to the dessert fair on Friday and involves the selling of traditional teas, coffees and desserts.

Ashim Subedee, freshman in biology and organizer of the fair, says the treats offered will be from the cultures of Nepal, Hong Kong, Mates, Thailand, Malaysia, Nigeria, Korea and Turkey.

“It’s a pretty good opportunity to come and taste different foods,” he says. “You can go to different restaurants to try to the usual food, but you don’t usually get all these desserts in restaurants around.”

Other events planned are lectures and discussions on various topics, a photography contest and a showing of the movie “Beautiful Boxer,” a Thai film about a man who trains as a kick boxer in order to become a woman.

For the weekend, a children’s event is planned, India and Kenya will be celebrated and the closing ceremonies will contain activities such as a fashion show and culture celebration.

Hughes says she thinks attendance will be higher at some events than at others, but she believes many students and community members will take advantage of the opportunities presented.

Kaiser Kaiserani, vice president of the International Student Council and junior in accounting, says he hopes the set of events will raise awareness of international students on campus.

He says though international people make up more than 8 percent of the ISU population and bring around $15 million to Iowa each year, people of the area are generally not very aware of them and have little understanding of their various cultures.

“This such event will help in raising awareness of international students, which I said, is an important part of the community. They’re related to rich cultures, with so much things that people can learn,” he says. “And it’s just an occasion for us to be together and celebrate.”

Shadiya says the Ames community has been very supportive of the event so far, and hopes support continues through participation in the week’s activities. The goal of the week is to both educate and entertain, Hughes says.

“[International Week] definitely has a strong education focus, but by all means, it’s not going to be boring,” she says.

International Week 2005 Events List

Monday

6:30 p.m.

Opening Ceremony

Great Hall, Memorial Union; free

4 p.m.

Learning About Study Abroad

256, Study Abroad Office, Memorial Union

Tuesday

8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Photography Contest Exhibition

Gold Room, Memorial Union

10 a.m. to 11 a.m.

International Student Employment in U.S.

Room 258, Memorial Union

Noon

“You Went Where”

256, Memorial Union

7 p.m.

International Women Presentation

Campanile Room, Memorial Union

Friday

6 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Dessert Fair

St. John’s Episcopal Church, 2338 Lincoln Way. Cover is $2 and cost of beverage and dessert.

Saturday

7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Indian Night

Great Hall of the Memorial Union

Traditional Indian food and entertainment; $12.

Sunday

6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Closing Ceremony

Great Hall, Memorial Union; $5.

– Compiled by Katie Piepel from the International Students and Scholars Web site