In the blue corner…

Cody Saveraid

Kristen Voss is, for the most part, an average ISU student. In May, she will graduate with a degree in genetics. On weekends, she hangs out with her friends. She even enjoys quoting the movie “Anchorman.”

What makes her stand out among her fellow students is her ability to throw a punch. When Voss, a member of the ISU Boxing Club, slides on a pair of 12-ounce gloves, her fists become her ticket to success.

Using quick hands and efficient footwork, she has qualified for the Women’s National Golden Gloves tournament which will be held in Chicago on Nov. 17 to 19.

An undefeated amateur boxer with a 2-0 record, she swung her way to victory in the ISU Golden Gloves tournament to earn the opportunity to box at nationals.

“She’s a super boxer,” said Terry Dowd, head coach of the ISU Boxing Club.

Competing in the 145-pound weight class, Voss is a two-time ISU Golden Gloves champion, winning the tournament in 2004 and 2005. Voss said she has mixed emotions going into her first trip to nationals.

“I feel pretty confident going into the tournament, but I’m also excited and nervous,” she said.

“I hope the nervousness propels me to victory.”

Voss said she feels confident her unique training regiment will pay off. During the past month, she has been taking on all comers in practice four nights a week.

She’s not just boxing with other women, though – she’s sparring with the men.

Brett Welling, one of Voss’ sparring partners in the Boxing Club, said Voss can throw a punch.

“She hits harder than a lot of guys,” said Welling, sophomore in biology.

He said he is positive that Voss will succeed in the tournament.

“She’ll do awesome,” Welling said. “She trains harder than anyone else.”

He isn’t the only one impressed with Voss, as Dowd sings her praises as well.

“If most guys boxed like her, they’d be good – but some guys just like to swing away,” said Dowd.

Both Dowd and Voss describe her style as aggressive but technical. She picks her punches and doesn’t swing with reckless abandon.

Voss has been called a versatile competitor because of her unique strengths. She considers a left hook to be her best punch, but surprisingly she’s not a southpaw. A right-hander, Voss is considered even fiercer with her dominant hand, which Dowd says she uses to effectively jab her opponents.

“She jabs with her right and works her way inside,” said Dowd.

At nationals, she’ll be boxing other women in three two-minute rounds. During the past month of practice, Voss has built up her endurance by sparring with men in four six-minute rounds.

“Because of sparring with long rounds, when I do two-minute rounds in practice, I don’t even feel tired afterward,” said Voss.

“The guys have been preparing me well.”

Dowd said Voss isn’t just an offensive threat; she also possesses very good defensive skills.

“She’s in great shape,” Dowd said. “She’s going to do well in the tournament.”

After college, Voss said she would like to continue boxing on an amateur level, but doesn’t see herself joining the professional ranks.

Dowd said he is sure she will succeed in whatever she pursues after college.

“She’s a terrific athlete and a terrific student and an all-around terrific girl,” he said.