Unsettled concern

Adam Graafs

Editor’s Note: This is the first of a two-part series examining the use of firearms by university police at Iowa State and other Regent universities in Iowa.

University police at Iowa Regent universities do not carry guns. The Iowa Board of Regents has allowed police to carry stun guns for the past three years, but concerns exist that this is not enough. Although not a frequent occurrence, police at Iowa universities are occasionally put into situations where they are not appropriately armed.

A common response to an uncommon scene

In February 2003, ISU Police Sgt. Liz Gries responded to a vandalism call near the Towers Residence Association.

“It was no big deal. Our mindset in going there was that there would be someone there with a broken window. The reported individual had a baseball bat, so that heightened our concern, but we prepared ourselves to confront someone who was vandalizing,” Gries said.

As Gries and another ISU police officer made their way to the scene, they spotted the individual pulling into the parking lot east of Knapp Hall. Both officers were unarmed.

She approached the vehicle, saw a man leaning against the window, returned to the patrol car to tell her partner the suspect was still inside, which was an odd thing to say because they could clearly see his foot was still on the brake, she said.

“Weird things go through your mind in a situation like that,” Gries said.

Gries’ partner approached the vehicle on the passenger’s side and was the first to spot the weapon – a shotgun.

“At that point, we didn’t know if he was dead or alive. I was shift supervisor and called in that we needed Ames police backup. It was a bad feeling because we couldn’t do our job. We took cover – and would’ve had we been armed – until we could get a grip on the situation,” she said.

Ames police arrived between three or four minutes after Gries’ call and conducted a felony stop. They approached the vehicle with their guns drawn and determined the individual was dead.

“A lot of students were walking around the area. When you see officers with guns, you get a clear indication that you’re not supposed to be there, but when you’re just seeing officers yelling, you don’t get that indication as well,” Gries said.

Gries is a seven-year police veteran. She has worked at both the Ames and ISU Police Departments. She knows the importance of carrying a firearm and how it can change a situation.

“The only thing that justifies lethal fire would be a life-threatening situation,” Gries said. “From my perspective, when deadly force is being used, it’s because your options are out … It’s not something [officers] intend to do.”

Out-gunned

University officers are state-certified police officers. They meet the same standards as officers throughout the state’s municipal departments.

In January 2002, the Iowa Board of Regents authorized adding stun guns to the arsenal available to university police officers at Iowa’s three Regent universities.

According to the Regents’ General Docket 26, concern by staff in each school’s public safety departments prompted approval for the less-lethal stun guns, citing in certain risky situations, officers lack the appropriate equipment. With a stun gun, however, Gries still lacked the appropriate tools.

Tasers (a brand name for stun guns) would have done no good because the vehicle’s window was up, Gries said. She had no way to protect herself, her partner and students in the areas.

Owen Newlin, past president of the board in 2003, would not comment about the policy’s passage.

Davenport Regent Amir Arbisser said there was a moderate amount of discussion regarding the issue that year.

“It didn’t seem to be an overwhelming issue – it needed to be addressed, but it wasn’t a divisive issue necessarily,” Arbisser said.

Gary Steinke, acting executive director at the Regents’ office, said consideration of other institutions’ policies was one factor that influenced the board’s decision.

“It’s always been the case that university police have not been able to use deadly force – never. Some of the rationale revolved around other institutions. There are very few peer institutions that carry firearms,” he said.

According to a 1999 survey conducted by the ISU Police Department and information from university officials who were not included in the sample, Iowa’s Regent universities are less equipped than schools around the country. Iowa’s university officers are the only law enforcement officers who do not routinely carry lethal firearms in the Big 10 Conference, the Big 12 Conference and the Gateway Conference.

“I wasn’t aware of [the survey] and I don’t know if the board is aware of that, but I don’t know if that makes any difference. When there are issues, [university police] call the [city] police. That’s what normal citizens do; that’s what other entities do,” Steinke said.

Iowa City Regent Robert Downer said he knew Iowa’s universities were in the minority.

“There are a lot of these campuses that are in much more urbanized areas,” he said. “The fact that other institutions are following other policies does not tell the whole story. There may be other factors involved in those campus. I’d like to see what factors affect those universities if this matter became before the board.”

A shift in police response techniques suggests a change is due.

Prior to the Columbine shootings, the typical response was to establish a perimeter, contain the situation and summon a SWAT or specially trained unit, said ISU Department of Public Safety Director Jerry Stewart.

“The demand today is for an immediate response to stop the threat,” he said. “The Taser is not intended to be a replacement for a firearm and should not be. Officers or the public should not have a false sense of safety or security because officers have Tasers. I personally believe our officers should be routinely armed.”

Department of Public Safety directors at the University of Northern Iowa and the University of Iowa agree.

“On a personal level, I’d say yes, but my job is to provide services based on the equipment approved by the Board of Regents,” said UNI DPS Director David Zarifis.

Chuck Green, University of Iowa’s assistant vice president and public safety director, said he has always been in favor of arming university officers and offered a proposal to the board in 1996, which was turned down in 1997.

“[University officers] are doing the same work as any municipal police department. They need the same tools to do the same job as other officers,” he said.

Arbisser said Iowa’s demographics are one reason he’s satisfied with the board’s current policy.

“Considering the population of students, we have quieter campuses and day-to-day needs are not at that level. I think it’s different when campuses are located in the urban areas like the Detroit area,” he said.

Board of Regent member and UNI senior Jenny Rokes said she sees both sides of the issue.

“As a Regent, it’s a hard topic to tackle. I’ve also lived in the residence halls and have seen how beneficial officers can be,” Rokes said. “As far as the board’s policy, as long as there aren’t any situations that require that type of force, I think it’s right where it needs to be.”

Board President Michael Gartner said firearms are not necessary since university police are instructed to call municipal officers when they need assistance. There has not been a situation in the past where a gun would be necessary and it would not be necessary now, he said.

Rokes said she agrees with the board’s current policy, but making university police call on other agencies to assist when they feel they cannot respond is not fair because some situations warrant immediate response.

In a July 19, 1994 column from the Ames Tribune, Gartner wrote “I’m against handguns – flat-out against handguns in the hands of anyone but a police officer or a soldier …”

Asked if he brings the same thoughts to the board as its president, Gartner said handguns should still remain in the hands of military personnel or police officers.

“But my personal view has nothing to do with this particular issue at the moment,” he said.

Green said the lack of firearms also deters potential candidates from joining departments like those at Iowa’s public universities because officers go through the same training, meet the same qualifications, but end up not having the same tools.

Stewart said retention is the big issue at Iowa State.

“We’re able to attract college graduates who enjoy working in the university community. However, a number of officers have left through the years due wholly or in part to the firearms issue,” he said.

Once they begin performing the duties expected, such as confronting persons with weapons, the lack of firearms has caused some officers to seek employment with other agencies. Weeks of training plus equipment and replacing personnel costs the university extensively, Stewart said.