Lecturer to explain earthquakes

Teresa Krug

A recent Pakistani earthquake has drawn attention from ISU faculty and students.

Kaiser Kaiserani, president of the Pakistan Student Association, said 47,400 deaths had been confirmed as of Wednesday morning. He said thousands more are missing and at least four cities and 100 villages have been destroyed.

Despite Kaiserani’s frustration that the media has given the tragedy minimal attention, he said the staff at Iowa State has been great.

“It’s amazing how people have been helping,” said Kaiserani, junior in accounting. “Some people have gone just way out of their way.”

A lecture is scheduled for Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union to discuss the disaster and raise funds for earthquake victims.

Jane Dawson, senior lecturer of geological and atmospheric sciences, plans to explain the plate boundaries in and around Pakistan and describe potential chances for future earthquakes.

“This is not the last time that we are going to see a tragedy like this in that region,” Dawson said.

Kaiserani said the PSA planned the lecture to explain what happened during the earthquake, to draw attention to the magnitude of the disaster, as well as a way to thank donors for their generosity.

“Apathy has started to set in,” Kaiserani said.

Dawson said she agreed to speak about the “great humanitarian tragedy” and has spent the last few days researching the region.

He said people have been extremely generous, not only with money, but also through services.

Kaiserani said when he contacted the Memorial Union to see if the PSA could reserve a room, personnel offered one the next day, if they needed it.

The Government of the Student Body has offered to help send supplies and money to Pakistan and reallocate already-existing funds in the PSA from one account to another. They have not been able to directly donate to the fund because the money belongs to students.

The PSA is hoping to hold a fundraiser at a future football game, Kaiserani said.

Kaiserani said the important fundraiser right now is the pizza sale.

As of last Friday afternoon, members of the group stood outside Parks Library selling pizza and soda. Papa John’s Pizza discounted the pizza for the group.

Kaiserani said the event was a success, with more money raised than could have been spent on the food. They raised more than $600. Since the earthquake struck 11 days ago, the group has raised $1,400, much of which will be donated to U.N. Children’s Fund.

Kaiserani said the fundraiser money does not include additional pledges from alumni and students, as the group has not received the pledged funds.

Because of the lecture, Kaiserani said the group plans to sell pizza outside Parks Library for the next few Friday afternoons.

Along with raising money at the lecture, he said the group is planning other fundraisers to help the victims.

“It cannot end with a couple of pizza sales,” Kaiserani said.