LGBTAA comes out strong

Virginia Arriguccis

Increasing visibility of and support for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender community at Iowa State was a main goal of a rally held Tuesday.

A growing crowd, mostly wearing orange “It’s Okay With Me” T-shirts, gathered outside Parks Library at midday for the National Coming Out Day rally.

“Anytime that the LGBT community can get together with allies and speak out or get together and share a common experience, that’s success,” said John Faughn, coordinator of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Student Services.

Oct. 11 is the official National Coming Out Day, which commemorates the 1987 march on Washington for gay and lesbian equality. The rally is one of many events to be held during National Coming Out Day this week on campus.

“The rally is the most well-attended and most visible event of the week,” said Justin Hope, president of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Ally Alliance.

Hope said it is the day selected for everyone to wear the “It’s Okay With Me” T-shirts, of which 500 were sold.

Speakers shared poetry and personal coming out stories. Penny Rice, coordinator of the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center led chants to promote awareness of LGBT students on campus that echoed through the area. There was also a flier being passed around for a “queer studies” course that has been accepted for next semester.

Sharon McGuire, interim dean of students, spoke at the rally as an ally.

McGuire, whose youngest brother came out many years ago, said she wants to connect that process in her family with what she does now on the campus.

There should be “a commitment to address the needs of all students,” she said.

Faughn said it is “imperative to hire a new dean of students that is an ally.”

According to past Daily staff reports, McGuire has said she is interested in the position.

Faughn said it was fortunate that former Dean of Students Pete Englin was an ally and McGuire would be a strong ally, as well.

Hope said the goals for the rally were to raise awareness of issues affecting LGBT students and to promote their accomplishments as a community.

Faughn said he expects some supportive phone calls in his office tomorrow as a result of this visibility, showing there is support on campus for students considering coming out with their sexuality.

“The allies are key,” Faughn said. “As with any oppressed group it takes members of the majority to carry members of the oppressed group.”

Ryan Delperdang, member of LGBTAA, said those who spoke at the rally were people who are influential in the community and making a difference at Iowa State.

Delperdang said there was a “really great turnout, better than years before.”