Ag Week will focus on clubs and students

Christy Hemkens

The College of Agriculture will host its annual Ag Week to both promote the program within Iowa State and connect its students with future employers. The week, which began Monday, will highlight the departments and clubs of the college through events, presentations and Ag Career Day.

“Through Ag Week, we are hoping to show the presence of the ag school within the university,” said Lorilee Schultz, president of the ISU Agricultural Student Council and junior in agriculture business.

Throughout the week, the student clubs within the College of Agriculture hold events. One of them is the Halloween Dance at The Zone, 125 Main St., on Wednesday night, sponsored by the Dairy Science Club.

“The dance is usually pretty popular,” said Katie Zumbach, president of the ISU Dairy Science Club and senior in dairy science. “We usually have to have people stand in line outside The Zone. I think it’s about 300 people that usually attend.”

The dance includes a costume contest. The prizes for the contest in the two categories of male and female costumes include coupons for the club’s homemade ice cream sold each Wednesday in Kildee Hall.

“A few things are different in Ag Week this year, like the hay-rack ride on Thursday evening, followed by hot chocolate served by the Food Science Club,” Schultz said.

The hayrack ride will include two tractors and racks, Schultz said, and will follow the CyRide route around Central Campus.

“It is open to anybody who wishes to join, not just ag students,” Schultz said.

In addition to the dance and hay-rack ride, the week also includes career-related events like the nation’s largest Ag Career Day, which will be held in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union on Tuesday.

In conjunction with the Ag Career Day, the ISU Block and Bridle Club is sponsoring “Meat Your Future” on Monday night. Hosted by the Meats Interest Group, speakers from meat science-related companies will be presenting career opportunities within their industry.

“Through Ag Week, we try to offer not only entertainment, but also educational and career-focused events,” Schultz said.