Iowa State well represented in traveling architecture exhibit

Virginia Arrigucci

Two ISU buildings have been included in an exhibit of the top 50 works of architecture in Iowa within the last century.

The traveling exhibit “A Century of Iowa Architecture, 1900-1999,” which began Monday, will be hosted by the College of Design through Oct. 28.

An opening reception will be held from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday in Gallery 181 of the Design Building. The exhibit will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at the same location.

Iowa State is well-represented in the exhibit.

Two entries are CY Stephens Auditorium, which was named “Building of the Century,” and the Agronomy Hall expansion and remodeling, which was selected as one of the best for the 1980s.

It is exemplary of the “strong relationship between our department and the practice of architecture in the state,” said Mark Engelbrecht, dean of the College of Design. “It establishes a heritage important for the state and the college.”

ISU faculty or alumni were architects on 11 of the 20 best buildings since 1960.

The three-year project was undertaken as part of the American Institute of Architects’ 100th anniversary in Iowa, which was celebrated last year. It is the first time a project like this has been done in the state.

Jurors narrowed down 300 nominations to arrive at five buildings from each decade. They had to be in Iowa, still be standing and designed by an architect to meet the criteria to be on the list. Selections were chosen based on design, societal and cultural impact.

Cameron Campbell, assistant professor of architecture, highlighted CY Stephens Auditorium as a building that has “culturally made Iowa more dynamic.”

“Even though we’re in the Midwest, we are not out of touch with the nation in architecture,” he said.

Campbell said he hopes the exhibit will stimulate people to recognize the great architecture in the state.

“You would expect decades where the work was off in quality and character,” Engelbrecht said, adding that Iowa has a “fine tradition” of good work throughout the century.

Unique to the display at Iowa State will be five models created by students who took the Frank Lloyd Wright and the Prairie School seminar last spring taught by Dan Naegele, assistant professor in architecture.

“Traditionally, architectural exhibits have a three-dimensional component,” Naegele said.

Because most of the exhibit is photography, the models made by students will be a good supplement, he said.

Most of the featured models were made by a computer-driven laser cutter that is capable of producing details down to each brick. As a result, the models are “very precise and very impressive,” Naegele said.

In addition to the photographs and models, visitors to the exhibit can also get a better visual image of the buildings through the documentary version of the project created by Iowa Public Television, which will be running on monitors at the gallery.

“[The exhibit is] interesting to look at by architects and non-architects alike,” Campbell said. “It will remind people of the treasures in the state.”