ISU committee voices support of ‘wet’ Veishea

Eric Lunds

The Veishea Advisory Council has come out in support of ending “dry” Veishea and allowing alcohol on campus and at university events during the Veishea weekend.

At a meeting Friday, members of the council – which is made up of university and city officials, community members, faculty and students – spoke in favor of retaining normal university alcohol policies during the Veishea weekend, although many worried what perceptions would be created by declaring the celebration “wet.”

Jerry Stewart, director for public safety, said a change to “wet” Veishea could indicate to people that Veishea is a time to “open the floodgates, it’s going to be a wild time” and that there would be a “phenomenal availability of alcohol.”

The committee was asked to evaluate the policy by ISU President Gregory Geoffroy, who will make a decision in time for Veishea 2006.

No committee members in attendance spoke in support of continuing the dry Veishea policy that has been in place since the 1997 Veishea stabbing death of Harold “Uri” Sellers.

“Having a dry Veishea policy did not stop this campus disturbance from happening,” said Gloria Betcher, member of the South Campus Area Neighborhood Association, of the 2004 Veishea riot that resulted in a cancellation of Veishea for 2005.

Betcher also said there is no proof the dry Veishea policy is effective and that it could drive drinking off campus to large house parties.

“Large house parties have contributed to every disturbance during Veishea,” Betcher said.

Todd Holcomb, associate vice president for student affairs, however, said he estimates approximately 85 percent of students who live in residence halls are under 21.

“I’m not sure how much pressure we’re taking off those parties,” he said.

Michelle Bohan, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Senate, said the Veishea policy change in 1997 caused many upperclassmen to move off campus, adding that “there was a perception, ‘They’re going to control our every movement.'”

She said the policy also affected non-Veishea related events during that weekend, such as weddings, and only made drinking on campus more secretive.

Other than contributing to large parties, City Councilman Daryle Vegge said a separate policy during Veishea is inconsistent and ineffective and would just anger students.

Holcomb, who will take the committee’s recommendation to Geoffroy, said the consensus at the meeting seemed to be for a consistent policy, but questions existed on how to communicate the decision.

Leonard Perry, associate dean of students and director for Multicultural Student Affairs, said although a “wet” Veishea is not a change from normal university alcohol policy, because of the expectations of a separate Veishea policy people would have to be put in contact with the policy.

The normal university alcohol policy allows students who are of age to have alcohol in residence halls and allows alcohol at university events and greek organizations that already themselves allow alcohol.

Virginia Arthur, associate director of residence, said a concerted effort is needed, not a policy change.

Tony Borich, ex-officio student member of Ames City Council, was not at the meeting but said he thinks the perception of Veishea is important.

“In years past, the perception that it has been a massive celebration has attracted people from around the Midwest,” he said, which led to disturbances and riots. “Veishea’s changed from that now, and now it’s more of a celebration for Iowa State students and people in the community of Ames.”

Borich said he doesn’t think a change would take the celebration back to what it was before it was made “dry.”

“I think the university and Veishea are going to do it the right way,” he said, by ensuring that students have “safe and responsible venues that they can attend in the evening time, as opposed to massive off campus parties.”

The committee also discussed Veishea’s budget at the meeting.

“It’s too early for a budget for ’06,” said Stephanie Fox, associate controller.

Fox said this year’s budget will be bigger than last year’s, which cost $212,421, but left a surplus of $12,000 not spent.

“Since the scope’s expanding, so will the budget,” she said.

//<![CDATA[

var subs_array = new Array(“sub1″,”sub2″,”sub3”);

function displaySubs(the_sub){

if (document.getElementById(the_sub).style.display==””){

document.getElementById(the_sub).style.display = “none”;return

for (i=0;i<subs_array.length;i++){

var my_sub = document.getElementById(subs_array[i]);

my_sub.style.display = “none”;

document.getElementById(the_sub).style.display = “”;

//]]>

FASTtrak

Last We Knew The “dry” alcohol policy that has been in place for the Veishea spring celebration since 1997 has drawn criticism from students, residents and city and university officials for being ineffective in preventing the 2004 Veishea riot. | The Latest The Veishea Advisory Council has voiced support for making the celebration “wet,” which means retaining normal university alcohol policies for the weekend. | What’s Next WSU President Gregory Geoffroy will make a decision on the alcohol policy of the 2006 celebration.