Students celebrate Homecoming Week

Teresa Krugs

Although tailgating ISU fans will light the grill on Saturday morning for homecoming, students on campus “ignited Cyclone pride” all week long.

Though activities do not officially kick off until October 13 – with the Homecoming Olympics – the Central Committee has been working since January to pull together the 2005 Homecoming Week, themed “Igniting Cyclone Pride.”

“I’ve enjoyed every minute of it,” said Amanda Crawford, co-chairwoman of Public Relations and Marketing for the Committee. After late nights and early mornings, Crawford said the work has paid off. She gave credit to the entire committee and Cy Squad for the success. “It’s a perfect week for Homecoming Week,” Crawford said. “We couldn’t ask for better weather.”

Tuesday, as she stood outside the tent on Central Campus where students had gathered to eat pizza during Food on Campus, she recalled the many memories of past years.

“I used to come to Homecoming with my family,” she said, deciding to get involved after seeing the committee in action last year.

Jake Thomsen, committee general co-chairman, said he applied for the position after being tournaments coordinator last year and wanting to take on a role that would allow him to interact with more people.

He said he wanted to bring his love of Iowa State and sports to the committee.

“It really struck me. The fall is kind of the time when everything comes together for me. I grew up on a farm. I love football,” he said.

One of the main focuses this year was to develop events so more people could get involved, Thomsen said.

“We always try to provide something for everyone,” he said.

Two new events Thomsen said he hoped would attract more people were the Battle of the Bands and the Cyclone Grill-Off for alumni.

Tuesday night, Rubicon Crossing, Sweet Afton, Rendered and Jade Lea took the stage in the Old RCA Courtyard. Although ISU Dining has collaborated with the Committee to bring a Residence Hall Barbecue to the area for the past few years, this was the first time live music accompanied the food.

“[We’re] trying to liven it up,” said Erin Deters, co-chairwoman of student involvement for the Committee.

Deters, senior in marketing , and Victoria Harring, senior in history, said they took their cue from the annual Veishea performances.

Although 10 groups applied, only four were chosen to play.

“It was a really tough decision,” Deiders said.

Harring said they hope to expand the time span next year to allow for “more students to get out here and show their talent.”

Jade Lea took first place.

“[I’m] extremely surprised,” said singer and guitarist Keith Rollins after the performance. “I don’t think it’s quite sunk in, yet.”

He said he was especially stunned by the judges’ decision because he and bassist Dale Noh, part-time freshman in LAS-open option, have only been together for one month and the other bands exhibited a tremendous amount of talent.

The band includes a mix of blues, jazz and folk.

“It derives from a lot of different styles,” Rollins said. “It sounds immediately different, and it’s catchy, too. It’s fun.”

He said while on-stage, they joke around.

“Our personalities work really well. We’re both really weird.”

Other activities that took place during the week were the annual painting Victory Lane and the display of banners on Central Campus.

Community service projects which students volunteered at included the Habitat for Humanity Blitz Build in Kelley and the Stuff the Bus campaign, which collected donated non-perishable items to the Mid-Iowa Community Action Food Pantry, of which the Iowa State Daily was a sponsor.

The week concluded with a pep rally, Yell Like Hell Finals, ExCYtement in the Streets and Mass Campaniling on Cental Campus.

Thomsen said although he was excited about the events taking place through the week, nothing is more exhilarating than the Homecoming game.

“That’s why we always come back and celebrate everything,” Thomsen said.