Earthquake relief diminishes in wake of other catastrophes

Teresa Krug

With a new tragedy nearly every week, people are giving a lot, but students on campus are still pushing for donations for victims of the earthquake that devastated Pakistan and India.

“It’s such a big, catastrophic event, that whatever we can do will seem very miniature, but still, all students, faculty and staff – they should put all their efforts to help those victims,” said Indian Students’ Association President Saurabh Mehta, graduate student in chemistry.

Last week, Jan Egeland, U.N. undersecretary general for humanitarian affairs and emergency relief coordinator, told The Associated Press that although the 2004 tsunami that devastated Southeast Asia claimed more lives, logistically, the aftereffects of the earthquake, which has a death toll of approximately 48,000, are expected to be worse because of the difficulty of reaching remote areas during winter.

Yet with hurricanes continuing to hit the shores of the United States, fewer people are donating to earthquake victims.

“People have given a lot already. I would be surprised if there were a great deal more [donations],” said Doug Yetman, director of the Lincoln Way Chapter of the American Red Cross, although he said he did not know the exact dollar amount.

Yetman said immediately following the tsunami in 2004, the Lincoln Way chapter received many donations.

Now, however, with the third round of disasters following the tsunami, he said the donations have gone down.

Dawn Roberts, chief development officer for the Central Iowa chapter of the Red Cross, which includes Des Moines and Marion and Warren counties, said only $404 had been raised.

Kaiser Kaiserani, president of the Pakistan Student Association and junior in accounting, said although $1,700 has been raised, his group, the Indian Students’ Association, and the International Student Council are continuing to hold fundraisers to meet the growing need.

Kaiserani said funds will be raised from the upcoming International Week, Nov. 7 to 13, and Diwali Night, a traditional Indian festival, on Nov. 12.

He said the majority of the funds will be sent to Edhi Foundation, the largest welfare organization in Pakistan, but can also be sent elsewhere if a donor requests so.