Students protest potential cuts in aid

Jared Taylor

On a brisk, sun-filled afternoon, students wearing black-and-white striped shirts informed passersby of a chilling proposal.

Introduced by Rep. Jim Nussle, R-Iowa, and Sen. Judd Gregg, R-N.H., the Budget Reallocation bill proposes to eliminate $9 billion in student aid programs, according to the U.S. Student Association, a national student interest organization.

Members of ActivUs, an ISU student political activism group, stood in front of Curtiss Hall on Wednesday afternoon, encouraging students to contact Nussle to oppose the bill.

ActivUs member Erin Marth, senior in political science, said students enthusiastically responded to the group’s outcry.

“We have tons of people already today,” she said. “As we are talking to them, they either ask for one of our cell phones and make the calls right in front of us.”

ActivUs member Katherine Lundberg, freshman in political science, said the organization’s striped shirts represent students being prisoners to their debt.

“We are trying to tell [congressmen] that this is absolutely unacceptable and we don’t approve and this is going to hurt students in the future, hurt the economy and hurt everyone,” she said.

Roberta Johnson, director of student financial aid, said the highest-need students would suffer most from the cuts.

“If they do an across-the-board cut in those programs, that is going to impact how we help the neediest of students,” she said.

Lundberg said she met students who anticipate up to $80,000 in loans to repay after they leave Iowa State.

“Congressman Nussle is the one that actually proposed it and it is significant that somebody from our region is proposing such a bill not representing all the constituents,” she said. “They are not representing us like they should – we are trying to get our voices heard.”

Kim Deti, press secretary for the U.S. House of Representatives Budget Committee, said Nussle welcomes comments regarding the bill.

“He is listening to what Iowans have to say on these issues,” she said. “He hasn’t approved or disapproved any of those programs.”

Rohini Ramnath, Government of the Student Body director of affairs, said the proposed cuts would hurt higher education.

“I think the priorities of this country are skewed when we are taking money from one sector of the population that needs it and putting it in areas that don’t necessarily need it,” said Ramnath, junior in political science.

Deti said Nussle proposed the bill to slow congressional spending on “mandatory programs,” which include student aid and Medicare.

“It’s not taking from one pot to put in another. It is slowing the growth of spending,” she said.

John Morton, junior in mathematics, said he would have to repay $12,000 in loans after he graduates. Aid cuts would prevent potential students from attending Iowa State, he said.

“Students who want to come here won’t be able to because of all the cuts in aid,” he said.

Heather Delperdang, junior in English, said she anticipates $45,000 of debt when she graduates. She said she has a simple answer as to how she will repay her debt.

“Find a damn good job,” Delperdang said.