Under-21 crowd not amused

Rhiannon Nagys

As the Government of the Student Body and city officials discuss the future of Campustown, underage ISU students say they sometimes look elsewhere for entertainment and night life opportunities. The need for improvements in the Campustown area has been on the GSB and Ames City Council discussion block often this fall. GSB members say although cleaning up the area around Welch Avenue is one of the main problems, the need for more entertainment for the under-21 crowd is apparent.

“One of the biggest complaints among students is that there is nothing to do,” said Mike Banasiak, GSB President from 2003 to 2004.

The are few businesses in Campustown that cater to the under-21 crowd, Banasiak said.

There have been past efforts to increase entertainment in the area, he said; however, most attempts have not been successful.

In the past, GSB has talked with city officials, business owners, and ISU faculty and administrators to try to find opportunities for underage students. One alternative that has been considered involves an ordinance allowing underage people into bars.

“Changing the ordinance would be a huge change for Campustown and Ames, but it is definitely worth looking into,” said Chris Deal, GSB vice president and senior in mechanical engineering.

Iowa City already allows underage people into bars, and some Des Moines dance clubs host “college nights.”

“Girls from campus drive all the way to Des Moines to go to Club Statik or Coconut Joe’s because they are 18 and want to dance,” said Amy Klein, sophomore in pre-journalism mass communication.

Although the idea raises the risk of underage people drinking in bars, some students feel this would be a positive way for students to socialize.

“I think that it is an assumption that allowing underage students into the bars will increase underage drinking,” said Noah Wiese, Campustown senator and graduate student in materials science and engineering. “Students who are going to drink will do it outside the bars.”

Past feedback from Campustown bar owners and city administrators has been negative toward changing the bar ordinance, Banasiak said. Participation by business owners, city officials, students and faculty will be needed to find feasible opportunities for Campustown.

Suggestions for other underage entertainment in Campustown discussed during GSB meetings include retail stores, billiards halls and wireless Internet cafes.

Wiese said a need exists for more outdoor entertainment in the area.

“I think we could use a pedestrian mall or maybe a public place for bands and festivals,” he said.