Debate over ‘wet’ Veishea rages on

Adam Graaf

‘Wet’ or ‘dry,’ city and university officials had mixed opinions about Veishea 2006, but most agreed to support ISU President Gregory Geoffroy’s decision.

A proposal that could clear the way for alcohol consumption in university housing during the 2006 Veishea weekend is expected to be discussed by the Veishea Advisory Council at its meeting Friday. A vote endorsing the proposal could influence Geoffroy’s final decision.

“[Geoffroy] is still in the evaluation process, getting response from parties involved with Veishea both in and outside the university,” said John Anderson, assistant to the president.

John McCarroll, executive director of university relations, said Geoffroy has not said when that decision will be made.

“The president would like to hear from the advisory committee and welcomes opinions from anyone on this issue,” he said. “We’re really at a time right now where we’re listening to opinions and comments, and he’s aware that students want to know. I think he’ll make that decision sooner rather than later.”

The university implemented its current “dry” policy after a stabbing occurred outside the Adelante fraternity, 318 Welch Ave., during Veishea in 1997. The following year, former ISU President Martin Jischke applied a policy prohibiting the consumption of alcohol on all campus property, McCarroll said.

The policy, however, does not affect off-campus drinking.

“You have to understand that a ‘dry Veishea’ affected activities on the university; it had very little impact on us because there was still drinking off-campus,” said Loras Jaeger, Ames Police chief and Veishea Advisory Council member. “There could be some advantages with a ‘wet’ Veishea because it could spread out some of the drinking venues. As a department, we’ll support what decision is made by President Geoffroy – I know it will be a thoughtful one – but we have no official position.”

University Risk Manager and council member Becky Adair said regardless of the decision, her office will assess the 2006 Veishea weekend as it has in past years.

“Whether or not you’re approving alcohol, Veishea events are still going to be nonalcoholic, so I think we’d still assess the risks in the same manner,” she said. “We’d still look at those same potential exposures.”

Eric Peterson, Veishea general co-chairman, said he agrees but said the term “wet Veishea” implies alcohol will be served, which is not the case.

“I think the term ‘wet’ may cause people to go absolutely crazy,” said Peterson, junior in agricultural business.

Adair said despite the best planning and any decision by Geoffroy, eliminating all risk for major incidents is impossible. The key is to educate the community that Veishea is an event for everyone, not just an excuse to party.

“I want the university to hold this event in the same way we hold other events – the focus should be on the event and not on whether it should be wet or dry. The activities around it are still going to be nonalcoholic,” Adair said.

“We, as Veishea, don’t endorse one policy over another, but obviously we’re going to have Veishea either way and will plan for either possibility,” Peterson said.

Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco said a policy change would not actually be a change at all.

“We discussed this at the Veishea Task Force and our consensus was: Why change the policy just for that weekend?” he said. “I would think [a change] would simply be going back to typical weekend policies. Why would you change the normal policy to an abnormal policy just for that weekend? Personally, I’ll support whatever Dr. Geoffroy chooses in this instance,” he said.