‘Battle’ full of rock ‘n’ tingling

Rob Lombardi

During most rock shows, head-banging and fist-pumping is customary. Tuesday’s Battle of the Bands, held in the Old RCA courtyard, spurred some stranger sensations.

“The bands really made my butt cheeks tingle,” says Samuel Wilson, freshman in pre-architecture.

The courtyard welcomed 1,500 students to watch the four bands perform. Battle of the Bands was coupled with Oak Elm dining services, where students could enjoy the activities in the courtyard.

Sweet Afton, one of the bands participating in the event, was skeptical about the battling format.

“It can bring ill will from the other bands if anyone has a real competitive nature when we’re out here just trying to have fun,” says Seth Hoveland, vocalist/guitarist for Sweet Afton.

There was no ill will, however, between the members of Sweet Afton and James Brinter, the band’s former singer who is now the lead singer of Rendered, another band who competed in the event.

“We’re OK now. It’s like breaking up with a girlfriend,” says Hoveland, senior in liberal studies.

Rendered followed Sweet Afton, and performed for the first time after practicing for three weeks together. Although they like how their band is shaping up, Chris Taulborg of Rendered says he feels they still need to improve on their rock-star personas.

“We need to learn how to smoke if we want to really be a rock band,” says Taulborg, sophomore in pre-business.

The band, which did covers including the Darkness’ “I Believe In A Thing Called Love,” had few complaints about their performance and say they love to compete. Yet they channel their abilities from an unusual source.

“NASCAR and Cyclone football is our inspiration,” Brinter says jokingly.

Battle of the Bands winner Jade Lea, consisting of bassist Dale Noh, freshman in LAS-open option, and guitarist/vocalist Keith Rollins, sophomore in art and design, played an acoustic set that was much more subdued than its rock counterparts. Rollins says they weren’t even invited to participate at first.

“We handed in our application past the deadline and got shot down, but I gave them a demo anyway even when they said it wouldn’t matter,” says Rollins.

“I didn’t give them my phone number, but an hour or two later they called my room phone and said they’d try their hardest to fit me in.”

Matt Stemper, freshman in physics, says he believes there should be more outdoor concerts throughout the entire year. He says he felt Tuesday’s show was a great start.

“The bands were pretty kickin’ rad,” he says.