Students can combat obesity despite trend

Rachel Weber

As food-portion sizes have increased significantly during the past few decades, experts have expressed concern that health awareness has fallen by the wayside for many students.

“We eat too much,” said Judith Stern, distinguished professor of nutrition and internal medicine at the University of California-Davis, who spoke at Iowa State on Sept. 28 about obesity. “We like how food tastes.”

Stern, co-director of the Collaborative Obesity Research Evaluation Team, said studies on food-portion sizes from 1970 reported the average daily caloric intake was 2,220. Today, the average American eats 2,680 calories.

Stern said McDonald’s french fries offer an illustration of how portion sizes have changed.

A regular order of french fries in 1955 contained 210 calories, she said. Now, a 2.6 ounce serving of fries has 230 calories. The large 6 ounce serving has 520 calories.

At Iowa State, Stern said students have the opportunity to walk everywhere.

“I usually walk to class for exercise,” said Brent Collins, senior in architecture. “I stay healthy by eating healthy foods in proper proportions. I don’t eat breakfast and I drink a lot of milk.”

Chelsie Sanchez, freshman in hotel, restaurant and institution management, also said she eats healthy as a way to stay fit.

“I don’t eat junk food,” she said. “I eat three meals a day and try not to snack.”

For exercise, Sanchez walks to class and occasionally takes a kickboxing class.

“On a scale of one to 10, 10 being most healthy, I’d consider myself a 7.5,” Sanchez said.

Stern recommended everyone develop their own plan that fits their individual needs.

“Everybody should have strategies,” she said. “Find what works for you and do it.”

Dr. Marc Shulman, staff physician at Thielen Student Health Center, said Thielen’s staff makes resources available for students looking to improve their health.

“For students that are interested, we have the tools to help,” Shulman said. “Dietitian and fitness evaluations are available to students. There is a waiting list and students can schedule appointments.”

Shulman said a large number of students have problems, but a small number actually seek services.

Stern cited an experiment performed at the University of Illinois, that found most subjects will finish a bowl of popcorn, no matter how much the container holds.

Stern noticed how portion sizes have increased from the 1960s to the present day in cookbooks. By using “The Joy of Cooking,” a cookbook she had purchased in the 1960s, she compared her older version to today’s version of the book. She found that a Spanish rice recipe with the same amount of ingredients now serves four, whereas in the 1960s it served six.

When it comes to relating these changes to students, Stern said there are many problems that need to be addressed. Because college students, especially women, are affected by advertising, it is an important issue that needs to be addressed, she said.

“College women are very conscious of body size,” Stern said. “A smaller body is viewed as more desirable and attractive.”

To help women come to terms with body image, Stern said it remains up to the individual.

“We must ask ourselves, ‘What am I willing to do?'” Stern said.