Students settle in after relocating to Iowa State

Adam Graafs

Katrina’s destruction ended far from Iowa’s borders, but the storm’s path eventually reached Iowa State, bringing hope and a new home for students displaced by the hurricane.

As they settle into classes, two students from New Orleans are finding out life in Ames is much like the home Katrina forced them to leave – albeit with some differences.

“Nothing strikes me as strange,” said Dan Weimer, sophomore in pre-business. “People are really friendly here and they’re like people in New Orleans – very hospitable – but the food is not as flavorful and I’m not used to the cold.”

Jared Austin, sophomore in chemistry, partially agreed, but complained about the lack of entertainment options.

“Ames is kind of like certain parts of New Orleans,” Austin said. “Back home, though, there is always something going on. There’s nothing going on in this state.”

The University of Iowa and the University of Northern Iowa also accepted students displaced by the storm. Officials at the University of Iowa said they accepted 25 students – 13 undergraduates and 12 graduate students – and UNI officials reported accepting three students.

Carolyn Nading, program coordinator for the office of records and registration, said Iowa State also accepted three students: Austin, Weimer and former University of New Orleans student Lindsay Labanca, senior in forestry.

Both Weimer and Austin left their families and came to Iowa State soon after the storm hit.

Weimer was starting his senior year at the University of New Orleans when he evacuated the Gulf Coast to ride out the storm at his parents’ house 40 miles west of New Orleans.

“I’ve been evacuated from so many hurricanes, it didn’t occur to me to pack anything. I thought it was going to be a couple of days,” he said. “You never think the levees are going to break, you never think it’s going to happen. And it did. It really hit me when I helped my parents clean up. My whole life was in New Orleans.”

With no running water or electricity, Weimer heard on a portable radio that Louisiana State University was taking students displaced by the storm.

He, like so many other students, mass registered, but after spending three days camping out in his car, he decided to leave.

“I came to Iowa State because – it was kind of a weird decision,” Weimer said. “I contacted the national fraternity [of Phi Kappa Theta] and they hooked me up with the guys at Iowa State. I called them up and they said they had a place for me to stay. I drove north the same day I resigned.”

Relocating to Ames was also a strange journey for Austin.

Austin and his family rode out Katrina as they’ve ridden past hurricanes; only once, Austin said, does he remember evacuating.

“We had the means to leave, but we didn’t want to leave my 97-year-old grandma,” he said.

Instead, his family was forced to leave because of the rising floodwaters. They made their way to the convention center and, from there, drove to Arkansas.

A week after the storm, Austin said he spoke to his friends at the University of Iowa, who evacuated before the storm. They tried to convince Austin to go to Iowa City, but after learning classes were full, U of I officials contacted Iowa State.

Now, the former Southern University at New Orleans student is getting used to Cyclone country.

“I’m more of a shock to people here than ya’ll are to me,” he said. “I got put in Maple [Hall] and I’m realizing that there’s a trend here in Iowa that you only stay in dorms your first year.”

Austin said he’s also had to adjust to class sizes at Iowa State.

“My school’s about 3,000 students and you didn’t need [teachers assistants.] I’m realizing that if you need help they send you to the TA down the hall. I’m used to going to the professor for help,” he said.

Austin said he’s unsure where he’ll finish school, but Weimer said he’ll definitely return to New Orleans.

“Basically, I’m finishing up here at ISU but will graduate from the University of New Orleans – my diploma will be from New Orleans. I’m just here as a visiting student and my credits from ISU will transfer,” he said.

Even though both students said they are enjoying their time at Iowa State, both notice distinct differences between Ames and New Orleans.

“There’s no crime here,” Weimer said. “New Orleans was the murder capital of the world; it’s all over the newspaper, but you read the papers here and they’re talking about drinking at Veishea.”

Austin also said he has noticed some changes.

“Ya’ll are in a rush most of the time and cars actually stop for people crossing the road,” Austin said.

“It’s just a whole different life change. Well, not a whole different change – in some ways it never changes.”