Students worried about relationship between city government, university

Marcos Rivera

With the Nov. 8 Ames city election approaching, ISU students said they are concerned with university-city relations, although some expressed apathy toward city government.

Robert Borchardt, senior in psychology, said one of the most important things he will be considering is student representation in local government.

“From past experience, I don’t see much student involvement,” he said.

Borchardt, a community adviser in Buchanan Hall, said this year he has noticed the students are more informed, thanks to the fact Ryan Doll, 3rd Ward candidate and senior in political science, lives on his floor.

ISU student Ryan Delperdang said he plans to vote in the city elections, and that he believes it is important for students to vote.

“I think many students are apathetic,” said Delperdang. “I’d consider how well the candidates take into consideration their student constituents and how they plan to make ISU students’ voices more heard in the City of Ames.”

Some students are uncertain.

“I don’t really know anything about the elections,” said Ben Goodwin, freshman in pre-business.

Goodwin said he is not registered to vote in Ames because he is already registered to vote at home in Cedar Rapids. He said he doesn’t know what he would have to do if he was interested in registering in Ames, and he doesn’t hear much about the local issues.

“The mall would definitely be something that I would consider if I was voting,” he said. “It would bring more jobs, which could add or replace jobs that might be terminated if the dining department outsources the food.”

Jennifer Uthe, sophomore in industrial technology, said she is “not really informed about the elections.”

ActivUs, a political activist group, tries to inform and involve students in local government.

“We are just trying to get the students to go and vote and make sure that we’re represented,” said Katherine Lundberg, member of the group and freshman in political science.