Advocate to discuss alternative medicine

Jeff Lewis

Although students may pursue spiritual healing to endure difficult times, doctors believe it should not take the place of modern medicine.

Marian English, an advocate of the practice, said in the past, the practice of spiritual healing has drawn fire for being an ineffective substitute for medical treatment.

According to online encyclopedia Wikipedia.org, faith healing is criticized by some in the medical profession because of a lack of concrete scientific evidence supporting its effectiveness. According to the encyclopedia, proponents of faith healing can cite only anecdotal evidence in support of it, and the practice is ineffective in many cases.

English, a Christian Science practitioner from Colorado Springs, Colo., said people misunderstand the meaning of spiritual healing and Christian Science.

“Our record isn’t perfect, just as the record of the medical profession isn’t perfect,” she said.

English said prayer could be beneficial for students in other facets of their lives as well.

“It will give them some strength to face their challenges so they can feel like part of the solution and not part of the problem,” she said.

Spiritual healing may be beneficial for relieving stress, but doctors believe it is not a substitute for medical attention and treatment for major problems.

“I think that faith prayer plays a role in making people feel better,” said Marc Shulman, staff physician at Thielen Student Health Center. “But it’s not a cure for most medical conditions. If there is a mental condition, it can help people, but it doesn’t replace medical treatment.”

English said prayer has helped her family and she has seen it help others as well.

“I’ve seen healing of migraines, of the addiction to cigarettes, of major hemorrhaging,” she said.

She said students could also use prayer to help improve their studies.

“I think they can find ideas that can enable them to make better use of their time and to study in more effective ways with more intelligence and less time spent,” she said.

English has been invited to speak by the First Church of Christ, Scientist, 123 Sixth St., Suite 2.

Wayne Davis, first reader, treasurer and board member of the church, said the congregation’s “mother church” in Boston requires a speech once a year.

“This is our chance to bring a speaker of some experience around and talk,” Davis said.

English will also speak to the public at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Ames Public Library.