Keg registration continues to spur heated dialogue

Adam Graaf

Students wanting to voice their opinion about an updated keg ordinance will have that chance Wednesday night at a public forum.

The Government of the Student Body will host the forum before its scheduled meeting to open discussion about an updated ordinance proposal that would require keg buyers to register and provide identification when purchasing keg alcohol.

The ordinance would also require retailers to maintain purchase logs and track individual kegs through a labeling system.

“As students, we have a couple of concerns to make this ordinance student-friendly,” said GSB Vice President Chris Deal.

“We’re voicing the concerns students may have and making sure students’ rights are protected,” he said.

Deal said before GSB would officially endorse the ordinance, a senate resolution would need to be passed; before he and GSB President Angela Groh personally endorse it, they want to see some changes.

“There are three changes we want to see before Angela and I endorse this – which would not be a GSB endorsement,” he said.

Deal said they want a 24-hour grace period before law enforcement officials are allowed to see who has purchased kegs to be put into effect.

They also want a study to take place before and after the ordinance is made a law to measure its effect, and, if the study is not performed, the ordinance becomes void.

He said he and Groh have already sent the suggestions to Story County Attorney Steve Holmes and the Story County Board of Supervisors and plan to bring these issues up again at Wednesday’s forum.

“If these are not met, Angela and I are not going to endorse it,” Deal said.

Since reintroducing a new draft ordinance, Holmes said the concern from students he has received is the same he received last spring.

“I haven’t had any protests from the general public,” he said. “I’m trying to fashion a compromise that’s acceptable to all.”

After Groh and Deal were first informed about the new ordinance a couple of weeks ago, they met with senate members, students and Holmes, and decided to hold a forum for public input, he said.

“Naturally, GSB is concerned about protecting students’ rights,” Deal said.

“As the ordinance was written, we see a few areas that could potentially create future issues. This forum is a chance to let the Board of Supervisors know about those concerns.”

Wednesday’s forum follows the Board of Supervisor’s Sept. 20 decision to pass a motion that removed ordinance No. 141, the old version of the keg ordinance, from the table and open discussion of an updated keg ordinance proposal.

County Supervisor Wayne Clinton said the supervisors plan to attend the forum but will not participate in public discussion.

“Our role will be just as observers,” he said. “It will be conducted as it was [in last spring’s public forum] where the county attorney answered questions by students and community members. We’re trying to educate and do, what I consider, public outreach before a decision is made. In other words, this is what democracy is all about.”

The forum will be held at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the Gallery of the Memorial Union.