Researchers gather students’ opinions

Jeff Lewis

The opinions of ISU students will play an important role in how genetically modified foods are promoted to the public.

Several genetically modified foods are produced at Iowa State and researchers at Iowa’s Grain Quality Initiative said obtaining an accurate reading of student attitudes toward them is important to organizations involved in the topic.

The researchers have been sending e-mails to ISU students asking them to complete surveys about their attitudes toward genetically modified foods.

“The [ISU] population is more educated than the population at large,” said Chad Laux, Ph.D., student and research assistant in agricultural and biosystems engineering. “The more educated the population is, the more accepting they are.”

The survey asks if students have heard of genetically modified foods, if they have eaten them and what they think of them.

Laux said the survey is important because it can let people know what’s going on in the field of biotechnology.

“Well, it’s going to raise awareness about what is happening in terms of agriculture and biotechnology,” he said. “The awareness of its use has been relatively low as compared to other countries. We feel this research will raise awareness among the student population about genetic modification and peak people’s interest to look at biotechnology and read more about it.”

Laux said the initiative is not trying to change people’s minds.

“This research doesn’t look to sway opinions; we want to find out what people’s perceptions and interests are,” Laux said. “The research we’re working on now is the benefits of adopting and promoting quality management services.”

Laux said he had to get university approval to obtain the registrar’s list of students to conduct the survey.

“I would say students have been very helpful,” Laux said. “I can tell you I have approximately 1,200 responses. I haven’t really started crunching the data, but students’ comments have been very helpful.”

Results of the survey will be presented at the international meeting of the American Association for Cereal Chemists in Orlando, Fla., from Sept. 11 to 14.

Charles Hurburgh, professor in agricultural and biosystems engineering who is in charge of the research, was unavailable for comment.