New ethanol fuel could hit stations

Katie Schmitt

Farmers in Iowa are predicting excellent potential crop yields this season, but whether that will show up in their potential gains remains to be seen.

“Gas is going to increase the total costs to harvest, but how much that is going to cost in proportion to the income of the harvest, I’m not sure,” said Lucas Borras, a post doctor research associate in the agronomy department. “One of the most important things, but I don’t know about, is how it relates to farmers’ costs.”

The increase in gas prices is a direct effect of Hurricane Katrina.

“We have major ports in New Orleans and other real traffic areas will see a price impact,” said Roger Ginder, professor of agriculture economics.

“ISU will see a lag in impact from the higher fuel prices, but if you talk to some of my students today, they had stayed in town over the Labor Day weekend because they couldn’t afford to drive home.”

Brent Cunningham, senior in horticulture, said he feels the same way.

“It’s looking pretty bad because of the hurricane,” Cunningham said. “Farmers are going to be hurt and it would be a good idea to use alternative fuel sources.”

Alternative fuel sources, such as ethanol-based fuel, could be a good idea for the average student to consider using, but farmers have limited options. Because combines and other large tractors use diesel instead of petroleum, ethanol is not an option. However, biodiesel made from soybean oil is becoming a more popular idea among the farming community.

“Certain diesel fuel prices are not quite as high as gas, but they are well above the norm,” said Robert Wisner, professor of agriculture economics.

Because of that, he predicts farmers will let their crops stand in the field, drying out as long as possible.

Ginder said they have developed a biodiesel which can range from 2 percent to 100 percent soybean oil. There has also been research in the use of animal fats from processing plants, fry grease from restaurants and feed stock to make other kinds of biodiesels.

Currently, gas stations are offering an alternative source of energy in the form of petroleum with 10 percent ethanol. However, students may soon see a newer E85 option at the pumps.

Wisner said E85 is a newer ethanol option which uses 85 percent ethanol rather than the current 10 percent.

“Most gas stations just have the 10 percent ethanol, but a few have 85 percent because only a limited number of cars can burn that,” Wisner said.

“More E85 stations will be available before long. Minnesota passed a law requiring all fuel to have at least 20 percent ethanol, and we can’t rule out that kind of legislature in Iowa.”

Cunningham wasn’t sure how far alternative fuel sources would go, but he could relate to the need for them.

“Anyone who uses fuel as part of their business will feel the pinch,” Cunningham said. “This effects the whole economy.”

Despite these potential problems for farmers, the overall outlook for crops is a positive one.

“There is a mixed picture all over the United States, but in central Iowa we are looking at a 1 percent increase in crop yields,” Wisner said. “The west two-thirds of Iowa are looking quite good, but it doesn’t compare to last year. Last year was phenomenal.”