March for Latino heritage

Marcos Rivera

Latino Heritage Month activities began Friday, showcasing Latino culture to both the ISU Latino community, as well as the ISU community at large.

“March of the Americas” took place Friday in front of Parks Library, with students marching with flags of each Latin American country to the Memorial Union, calling out the names of each country.

One of the main goals of the Latino Heritage Month Committee was to incorporate the whole ISU community into the activities, as opposed to just the Latino community, said Gabriel Benitez, president of the LHM Committee and senior in industrial technology.

Keynote speaker for the opening ceremonies was Rose Vasquez, Regent from Des Moines. Vasquez said that as far as she knows, she is the first Latino to serve on the Board of Regents.

“I never miss an opportunity to participate in things like this,” said Vasquez. She said it is important for Latinos to be active at Iowa State.

Vasquez discussed her experience growing up as a Latina dealing with a double cultural identity. She said she pronounced her surname differently depending on if she was introducing herself to a Latino or non-Latino.

Several students attended the opening ceremonies, many from outside the Latino community. The activities for Latino Heritage Month showed not only the presence of the Latino community at Iowa State, but also the support that all the ISU community gives, said Todd Holcomb, vice president for student affairs.

Holcomb said it is important to learn and celebrate Latino culture.

“Iowa State University is proud of the students and staff for sharing their culture with us,” he said.

Vasquez said the Latino community should keep growing at Iowa State. Right now there are about 546 Latino students enrolled at Iowa State.

“Think of us doubling that number,” she said.

This year’s theme for Latino Heritage Month is “Latinos; Muchas Culturas, Un Orgullo” or “Latinos; Many Cultures, One Pride.” The activities are meant to show how diverse the Latino culture is.

“It’s great that we can celebrate people’s cultures and raise awareness on campus,” said Emily Blake, graduate student of education leadership and policy studies.