Regents upbeat in recruiting students despite ISU decline

Jared Taylor

Despite decreased enrollment at Iowa’s public universities, members of the Iowa Board of Regents remain optimistic toward attracting future students.

Iowa State’s fall enrollment is 25,741 students – the lowest since 1998.

Iowa City Regent Bob Downer said Iowa State’s reduced enrollment originates from reduced high school class sizes and the after-effects of the 2004 Veishea riot.

“In part, this is an effect of the shrinking number of the high school graduates in the state of Iowa,” Downer said.

“They are also feeling the effects of what happened with Veishea a year ago.”

Tom Bedell, regent from Spirit Lake, said a lower amount of Iowa high school graduates creates increased challenges for new student recruitment.

“It is largely a demographic problem, but that still creates a reality,” he said.

Although enrollment declined for the third consecutive year, Downer said the Regents’ Partnership Plan for Transformation and Excellence helped offset a potentially greater shortfall in enrollment.

“It very definitely was a significant step in the right direction and I think this played a role,” he said.

This year’s 4 percent tuition rate increase was the lowest since the 1998-99 school year, when tuition increased 3.9 percent.

Although tuition increased this year, Downer said the relatively low increase is a step in the right direction.

“The tuition was held down to the lowest increase in quite a number of years and I think that sends a positive message,” he said.

Downer said he believes enrollment can increase at the Regent universities in the future.

“I think we are doing a better job with community colleges in picking up transfers,” he said.

To build its enrollment, Downer said Iowa State must look out-of-state for new students.

“There is a wide area in which the Regent institutions could recruit and demonstrate to prospective students that there are great opportunities at these universities,” he said.

The Regent institutions could experience an increase in out-of-state students in the future because of budget cuts at other public universities throughout the Midwest, Downer said.

“During the past year, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota experienced the same kinds of cuts we went through over the last several years,” he said.

Although out-of-state recruitment could increase, Bedell said the Regents must not overlook building in-state support.

“Our first focus and priority is for the students of the state of Iowa,” he said. “We are grateful for our out-of-state students and for the overall quality they add to the campuses.”

Board of Regents President Michael Gartner could not be reached for comment.