Rec Plex not slated to directly burden students’ incomes

Jeff Lewis

While the city of Ames is hashing out plans for a new recreation complex, students at ISU aren’t paying very much attention.

Community input and opinions are the driving force of what the new facility would include, but ISU students have generally not participated in the process.

“We had an open forum a couple weeks ago,” said Mark Hagley, sociology academic adviser and member of the Ames Park and Recreation Commission. “I really haven’t had any feedback from students unless they happened to be at that meeting.”

He said there has been a lot of input from the community, because there are a large number of groups that have different ideas of what the facilities should include.

“There’s the competitive people, there’s the families, there’s the individuals that just want someplace they can go,” he said. “What we’re trying to do is come up with a facility that can be used by everyone and that can provide the elements that all the groups want.”

Nancy Carroll, Parks and Recreation director for the City of Ames, said the $10 million property tax bond, that, if approved, will pay for most of the $15 million facility and might only indirectly affect students because they usually do not own property.

“You might assume that if you’re a renter and your landlord’s property tax increases, they might pass that on to you,” she said.

Carroll said the recreation complex issue will be brought up again in a meeting Sept. 28 for further discussion.

According to previous Daily reports, students feel that on-campus facilities provide adequate recreation opportunities and the new recreation complex is unnecessary.

The complex will lie just east of Ames Middle School.