Giaimo honored at ceremony

Eric Lund

“Giaimo!” said Master Sgt. Jasper Edwards, finishing a ceremonial roll call at Wednesday’s memorial service for the second former ISU student killed in Iraq.

Belying the hearty acknowledgments of the other ISU Army ROTC students gathered in the Memorial Union, Edwards was met with a somber silence. Audience members stood staring stoically forward as Edwards paused before speaking again, silence permeating the room.

“Lt. Giaimo,” he repeated. Silence.

“First Lt. David L. Giaimo,” Edwards said for the third and final time, a roll call response never again to be expected from the fallen soldier. The approximately 50 spectators, many wearing military uniforms, then stood to the somber sound of “Taps,” followed by a short prayer. The prayer concluded the ceremony for the Illinois native and 2003 ISU graduate, who would be 24 years old. Giamo was killed Aug. 12 by a mine while leading a convoy in Tikrit, Iraq.

“We only have a short period of time on this earth, and Lt. Giaimo knew that,” said Lt. Col. Lawrence Braue, professor and chairman for military science and tactics. “He faced his duty with honor and courage; he led from the front.”

In an interview before the ceremony, Maj. Harold Meyer, adjunct assistant professor for military science and tactics, said fallen soldier ceremonies are almost always short, and usually organized within a few days of a soldier’s death. Meyer said the ceremony was held nearly a month after Giaimo’s death because of the start of the semester and other organizational challenges.

At the service, speakers spoke of Giaimo’s dedication and service to his country.

“He wanted to be the very best,” Braue said, adding he remembered instances where Giaimo contacted his former instructors for leadership advice.

Speakers also expressed support for memorializing Giaimo in the Memorial Union’s Gold Star Hall, in which the names of military casualties from Iowa State are listed.

“Soon, First Lt. David L. Giaimo’s name will be added to the Gold Star Hall,” said Cadet Karmalita Hinojosa, sophomore in psychology.

Cadet Ashley Blau, freshman in health and human performance, said an entry in Gold Star Hall would mean Giaimo’s name would never be forgotten.