Protesters work to raise public’s war awareness

Jeff Lewis

Amid the honks of passing cars, students, faculty and community members gathered Wednesday at the corner of Lincoln Way and Welch Avenue to protest the war in Iraq.

The protesters gathered to “stimulate thought” about the war. Ames resident Deborah Fink said the protesters want to “raise up the cause of peace and make people think.”

“We get lots of good honks,” she said.

The protesters held up posters with phrases such as “make love, not war,” “bring our troops home” and “war is not the answer.”

A large sign with the phrase “time for peace” was held by two people, while a dog wearing a banner that read “make dog food, not war” accompanied the protesters.

The protest was a joint effort by two organizations: Time for Peace, an on-campus student organization, and the Alliance for Global Justice, which is composed of Ames community members.

Protesters said this is their opportunity to revive the conversation about the war in Iraq, which they believe the news media have forgotten about.

“We are doing this for the voices of people for peace to be heard,” said Mary Sawyer, professor of religious studies.

Carlie Tartakov, lecturer of curriculum and instruction, said the voice of the protesters has been lost in the media.

Fink said the protest is nonpartisan, but in the past they have gotten opposition from conservative groups.

“We have been pretty strongly opposed by the ISU Republicans,” she said. “They have set up down the street and played loud music.”

Louis Kishkunas, senior in political science and former president of the ISU Republicans, said the politics the protesters support would be bad for the country.

“There’s nothing new for me. You never see any viable plans for Iraq,” he said. “People on the liberal fringe kind of like to nitpick without giving any plans on their own.”

The protesters said the honks they heard were a positive indication that there are many people who want a peaceful solution to the war, and that the number of people who agree with them has increased.

“We got a lot of fingers – someone mooned us,” she said.