Keg Ordinance: Forum devised to hear student perspectives

Adam Graaf

A mix of responses followed the Story County Board of Supervisors’ decision to move forward in the process of passing a new keg ordinance at their Tuesday meeting. The supervisors decided to open discussion on an updated version of the proposed keg ordinance.

A forum is planned for next week on campus so students can air concerns about the ordinance.

Ames mayoral candidate Jon Shelness, who attended Tuesday’s Board meeting, said he doesn’t endorse the proposal.

“This is like the anti-riot rule the university has put in place,” he said. “It’s divisive, it’s punitive and it doesn’t address the underlying issues.”

Shelness said the ordinance will not reduce underage drinking and may actually increase the problem.

“People will become more defiant,” he said.

A public forum to discuss the ordinance will be hosted by the Government of the Student Body on Sept. 28 at 6 p.m. in the Gallery of the Memorial Union.

GSB will facilitate the forum to help provide students the opportunity to share their thoughts about the proposed ordinance, said GSB President Angela Groh.

Members of GSB are not required to attend the forum but their meeting has been adjusted to accommodate those who wish to attend, she said.

Groh, senior in political science, said GSB has not yet decided whether to endorse the proposal.

“It just came out and I think it’s important for GSB members to attend the meeting and then make the decision whether to endorse it,” she said.

George Belitsos, chief executive officer for Youth & Shelter Services, said changes in the draft ordinance make it more effective and encourages anyone with concerns to speak at next week’s forum.

“I want to reassure students at Iowa State that the ordinance is not in its final form and that a forum is being held to honor that commitment to student concern before it’s officially proposed to the Board of Supervisors,” he said.

Belitsos said much of the student concern centers around their perception of an overreach by law enforcement who would have access to retailers’ keg logs.

Despite growing controversy, any passage of a keg ordinance will affect retailers.

In the updated ordinance, Story County Attorney Stephen Holmes proposed to increase keg deposits from $15 to $50 so buyers would have more incentive to return empty kegs.

Rich Parizek, manager of the Keg Shop, 218 Welch Ave., said although he agrees with Holmes, he is concerned the increase could have a negative effect on keg sales.

“I know if I had to lay down $50 for a keg, I know I’d return it on time,” he said.

Retailers will also be responsible for labeling kegs at the time of sale, an addition employees will have to get used to, Parizek said.

Parizek, who expects the ordinance to pass, said he plans to attend next week’s forum.

“As a store, we are against the ordinance, but we’ll follow the law,” he said.