Reiman Gardens celebrates its 10th birthday

Joe Augustin

After 10 years as a popular Ames attraction, Reiman Gardens is striving to increase its popularity among ISU students.

The Gardens, which is the largest public garden in Iowa, celebrated the Best Blooming Birthday 10 Year Celebration on Saturday night with about 150 community members, most of whom were Reiman Gardens members.

“It was a beautiful night,” said Megan Jorgensen, communications coordinator for Reiman Gardens. “It was a great time for the people there to see the Gardens in luminaries and candlelight.”

Though the popularity of the Gardens has caught on to the Ames community, it is struggling somewhat to appeal to ISU students, Jorgensen said.

“We want to make sure that students don’t think this is just a place where you take mom and dad,” she said. “This is a perfect time of year to go outside and study in the Gardens.”

Students from a variety of majors such as marketing, horticulture, entomology and retail management work there, which is one way of getting more students involved, Jorgensen said.

“We do have a loyal group who come here to study and draw, but we would like to see an increase in students who come to have an enjoying and relaxing time,” Jorgensen said.

Another effort to get students involved has been a welcome back concert held in conjunction with Government of the Student Body during late August the past two years. Towncrier and The Nadas have been past performers.

“We try to get bands that are familiar to the students,” Jorgensen said.

One popular attraction is the Christina Reiman Butterfly Wing, which houses nearly 1,000 butterflies. Several families toured the wing Sunday, as part of Family Day at the Gardens.

Laverna Larson, volunteer in the butterfly wing, said she has seen Reiman Gardens go through all the stages of transformation since she first began volunteering in 1994.

“Everyone here is so gracious and there is always work to be done,” Larson said.

Larson caters to guests with her knowledge of the 80 species of butterflies that occupy the facility. She also makes sure no “hitchhikers” find their way out of the lush, tropical environment.

“We have to report any species that escape,” Larson said. “The other day we had one that made it all the way onto a tour bus.”

Jorgensen said Reiman Gardens founder Roy Reiman addressed how he saw a need to create a welcoming entrance to Ames at the celebration, but that is not the Gardens’ only function.

“This is a great place that fosters creativity, learning and we are free to be very creative,” Jorgensen said.

General admission is free for students with ISU cards.