International enrollment dips at state schools

Tom Vance

International student enrollment has dipped significantly this year at Iowa State, while multicultural enrollment has risen.

Difficult exams, heightened national security, increased educational opportunities in home countries and lack of financial aid have put a damper on international enrollment, down 187 students this year.

The 8.9 percent decline in international enrollment, however, has not affected the diversity of the campus.

According to Iowa State’s registrar, minority student enrollment has risen 3.5 percent from last fall.

“ISU has made a commitment to get minority students,” said Terry Mason, interim director for International Students and Scholars and assistant vice president for student counseling service.

“[The increase in minorities] is the fourth highest ever in ISU history.”

International students have to pay the full amount for tuition and fees themselves as they do not qualify for financial aid, Mason said.

Parts of the world, as well, are volatile, he said, making it hard for some students to attend Iowa State.

Rajat Tandon, freshman in pre-computer science, who is originally from India, said it’s hard for international students to come to American schools.

People have to take exams to attend schools in other countries and only a few people are selected to go, he said.

“If you go through the legal process, it’s almost impossible,” Tandon said.

He said having relatives already in the United States helps make the process easier.

Tandon is a green card holder because his uncle, who is a citizen of the United States, is sponsoring his stay at Iowa State.

“It helps to have connections,” he said.

Mason said when international students come to campus, popular majors include engineering, agriculture and business, as those degrees play important roles in the driving industries of the economies of many international students’ home countries.

The university is able to secure enrollment from international students trough ISU recruiters who go abroad, the ISU Web site and word-of-mouth, Mason said.

Marc Harding, director of enrollment services for the ISU Admissions Office, said Iowa State plans on stepping up its recruitment efforts, including those by alumni and Iowa State’s individual colleges. These groups, along with Iowa State as a whole, have the difficult task of having to compete with increased opportunities for international students to study abroad – both those offered in other countries as well as those offered by other universities within the country – plus the lack of available aid for international students.

Despite the declining representation of international students, Harding said he is proud of Iowa State’s efforts at creating a more diverse campus.

In total, 8.25 percent of the student body is multicultural, with 8.2 percent international students.

Next to recruitment efforts, Iowa State has several opportunities and services for minority and international students.

The Multicultural Student Affairs office has been like a second home for Thurston Dixon, junior in management, who is originally from Texas.

“Anything I’ve needed they’ve been willing to provide,” Dixon said.

He is also a part of the Multicultural Business Network on campus. The organization helps students form business connections and helps prepare them for the professional world of business, he said.

Tandon also came to Iowa State for the professional opportunities.

“The main reason for me to be here is there’s much more of a job security,” he said.