Exercise class incorporates world dance moves

Anna Shonkwiler

Recreation Services is offering students an opportunity to work out using dance moves from all over the world.

World Grooves, a new group cardiovascular class, has been added to the classes available by Recreation Services.

Stephanie Eichler, program coordinator for Rec services and instructor of the class, said World Grooves is a mix of Latin, reggaeton, belly dancing and tribal dancing, which offers a cardiovascular workout.

Although each class period includes fusions of all different moves, each class focuses on one type of dance. The music and most dance moves come from the one type of dance, with pieces of the other dances mixed in throughout the workout.

“I try to bring in what’s happening in fitness right now,” Eichler said.

In the past, World Grooves was called Latin Grooves and mostly included Latin-style dancing and music.

This semester, the name was changed to offer something that would appeal to more people, Eichler said.

“All the music used during the class is authentic,” Eichler said.

She said the class offers a multicultural experience and allows students to briefly step away from pop music and see what else is out there.

“Students really come to enjoy that style of music and those CDs,” she said, and added that participants occasionally ask her after class where they can buy the music.

“The approach is very nontraditional,” said Eichler.

Megan Schuller, junior in advertising, said she agrees. She has been attending the classes on a regular basis and said she really enjoys the workout experience.

“It’s different from all other classes,” Schuller said. “It’s a better workout than you might think, and you have fun while doing it.”

Eichler said no dance experience is needed to attend World Grooves. She said it is just a fun dance aerobics class for people to try if they want some variety in their workouts.

Eichler also said World Grooves is the only class of its kind available through Rec services that has such a variety of dance moves and different styles of music.

World Grooves is held in the southeast corner of the upper fitness area of Lied Recreation Athletic Center on Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:25 p.m.

Classes are free to students with group fitness identification cards, which are available in 2220 State Gym.