Faculty honored with new titles

Jared Taylor

Faculty who received honors at the fall convocation said although the awards reflect their years of devotion to Iowa State, their work is not complete.

During Monday’s fall convocation, ISU President Gregory Geoffroy awarded two distinguished-professor titles and four university-professor titles.

First awarded in 1956, distinguished professor is the highest academic honor given by Iowa State. University professor is a title given to a senior professor who has had a significant impact in teaching, research and professional service.

Provost Benjamin Allen said Geoffroy recommends the university annually gives each award to two to four faculty members.

“It is a very special award; there are probably just over 50 faculty who are in the distinguished award,” he said. “Each college will have a nominee and it is very competitive.”

Warren Madden, vice president for business and finance, said the salary increases accompanied with the awards do not significantly affect the budget, nor are they affected by the budget.

“I don’t think it is really a budget issue in any significant way – each year the university plans for awards like this,” he said.

Craig Anderson, distinguished professor of psychology, received his new title at the convocation. He said he is working on developing a center for the study of violence at Iowa State.

“I hope to provide a structure for fostering research on aggression and violence by researchers from a number of departments at Iowa State,” Anderson said.

Costas Soukoulis, distinguished professor of physics and astronomy, said he is honored to receive his new title and is pleased to be recognized in both research and teaching.

Soukoulis said his research has focused on technology that could be applied to new telecommunications equipment.

“It can increase the efficiency of different telecommunications devices, such optical switching, wireless antennas, etc.,” he said.

William David was named university professor of music.

“Sometimes the arts and humanities aren’t given as much prominence,” he said.

“I give this as vote of confidence of arts and humanities at Iowa State.”

As a founding member of the Ames Piano Quartet, David said the group is planning a tour to South Africa to teach and perform its music.

“It is not an inexpensive thing to do and it’s not an affluent country, so we are trying to get university support on it,” he said.

Stephen Vardeman, university professor of statistics, said he appreciates his title but does not get too excited about it.

“I would not be telling the truth if I said the title doesn’t matter, that the award doesn’t matter,” Vardeman said. “What is most important is the esteem of your colleagues, the esteem of your students and knowing you have done your job.”

Mark Power, who was named university professor of finance, and Ann Thompson, who was named university professor of curriculum and instruction, could not be reached for comment.