Poultry pedestrians

Fred Love

The sight of a six-foot-tall yellow bird skipping across Beach Avenue on Thursday morning outside of Maple Hall may have led some drivers to think they were driving down Sesame Street. The bird, however, wanted only to deliver an important message brought to drivers by the letters DPS: Watch for clucking pedestrians – but, more importantly, those not wearing a chicken suit.

The Department of Public Safety hoped the sight of a chicken crossing busy intersections around campus would remind drivers to watch more closely for pedestrians.

Director of Public Safety Jerry Stewart said he hopes the chicken-crossing will raise driver awareness of pedestrians in a memorable way.

“I think this is something people will tend to remember more than, say, a flier campaign,” he said.

Stewart said the chicken-crossing is the first stage in a two-prong effort to raise driver awareness.

“The chicken will be the first phase in an overall campaign to reduce the potential for pedestrian-related collisions,” he said. “The next phase involves the placement of portable street signs next week.”

The street signs will convey messages to drivers about the importance of pedestrian awareness, which is not always fully observed on campus, Stewart said. He said DPS has dealt with six pedestrian-related accidents since 2003.

“It’s not as if we’re besieged by complaints or collisions,” he said. “This is mostly a preventative effort to raise awareness in a fun way.”

Program assistant for judicial affairs in the dean of students office Andrew Alt, and one of the people behind the feathers, said he volunteered to don the chicken costume.

“I thought it sounded like fun,” he said. “And it’s a good cause.”

Alt said he didn’t know how well the chicken-crossing raised driver awareness of pedestrians, but he said he got mostly positive responses both from pedestrians and drivers.

“If we’re not raising awareness, most people have definitely been happy to see a chicken,” he said. “Probably just because it’s out of the ordinary. Most drivers have been very respectful, although a couple seemed kind of angry to have to stop for a guy in a chicken suit.”

Abdoul Diallo, freshman in pre-business, said he was amused to see the chicken while walking to class.

“I was really surprised to see it,” he said. “But I’m always up for a surprise.”

He said he didn’t think the chicken met the goal of raising driver awareness, however.

“A guy in a costume won’t really get the message out, but it’s funny to watch,” Diallo said.

Chaz Beck, sophomore in aerospace engineering, had a different opinion of the effort.

“Drivers will definitely have to pay attention to the chicken,” he said.